Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently returned from a small break from biking (10 years) and I've found that I know very little about the new technology out there.

I have an '05 Specialized XC FSR and I'd like to lose a little weight (on me and on my rig). In reading this forum, it seems one of the most effective ways to lose some weight on the rig is to get a new wheelset/tires. I plan on doing a UST conversion with new tires so that should help. My current wheelset is stock and consists of a Specialized disc front hub, and a Shimano M-475 disc rear hub with Mavic XM117 rims.

This wheelset was relatively cheap (i.e. - in my price range), but I'm not sure its a true 'upgrade' over my stock set and if it will make any weight/performance improvements:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH707A21-Shimano+Xt+Disc+X317+Wheelset.aspx

Thoughts on this wheelset? Others around the $200 range? Is a $200 range not enough dough to really be an upgrade over my stock wheelset?

Thanks in advance!

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
I'm no weight weenie but I'd be inclined to KEEP your current rims and spend that $$$ on new hub(S). I had that shimano hub and it sucks (sorry). It's not sealed and it's heavy. In a new hub will not only roll faster but will be lighter (win win).

I'm not familiar with the XM117's but I do know the "XM" refers to Mavics "cross mountain" line -- think all mountain. Generally this line is ~slightly~ heavier than the XC rims but the durability MORE than makes up for it. If your a true WW than you may disagree but I personally think you'd shed more weight and gain WAY more performance with just upgrading you hubs. Take a look at the Hope XC's GREAT hubs, sealed and relatively affordable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd agree with Jwind

Another idea would be to watch eBay for NOS stuff. My current wheels use 950 XTR hubs I found on eBay (NOS, less than $100 for the two). While they are definately lighter than the LX hubs they replaced, the more noticable improvement is in the bearings, my new wheels spin forever.

Old
LX hubs
DT spokes
brass nipples
Mavic 22X(something or other, whatever was on the bike OE)

New
950 XTR (NOS eBay)
DT Champion? (or is it Competition? I forget) double butted spokes
Alloy nipples
Mavic 517 Ceramic (NOS Universal Cycles)

Saved over 425 grams and cost $300 to build. I was going to buy Crossmax XLs, and so far, I'm glad I didn't.

I would definately do hubs first.

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.