Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry for such a noob question, but i recently bought a lizard skin chainstay protector. I thought it would go completely around the chainstay but it isn't wide enough. So now, I'm trying to figure out whether it should just be stuck on the outside face of the chainstay or should it stuck on the underside of the chainstay? I mean if its to protect it from rocks, then it would go on the underside right? Thanks.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
you can't exchange it for a larger size? i'll assume it won't stretch enough to fit.

for whatever it's worth, the top and bottom of my chainstay was beat up befor i put a lizardskins on it. you could always use an old inner tube or electrical tape to protect it if aesthetics don't matter to you. the clear tape that came on my chainstay didn't really help much.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The chainstay protector protects the stay from your chain, position it accordingly. I think the Lizard Skin protectors come in different sizes for different size chainstays, but I haven't really paid attention to store-bought chainstay protectors for a while; an old inner tube piece and zip ties work for me.

·
Combat Wombat
1,850 Posts
Give it to someone for Christmas......

Bikinfoolferlife said:
The chainstay protector protects the stay from your chain, position it accordingly. I think the Lizard Skin protectors come in different sizes for different size chainstays, but I haven't really paid attention to store-bought chainstay protectors for a while; an old inner tube piece and zip ties work for me.
And go buy some bar tape used on roadbikes, you can practically get any color you want. Use a piece of electrical tape on each end to secure it and your good to go. Looks better and works better than any chainstay protector on the shelf.

Brian

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I had one of the Lizard Skin carbon fiber protectors for a while. I positioned it on the top / outside of the chainstay to protect from chain slap. The outer plastic coating eventually started peeling off and I gave up on it a couple of months later. I'm currently using the following chainstay protector from Specialized: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=9860. It protects the entire chainstay and is secured with a velcro strip running the length of the protector. This makes it easy to remove and hose off when it starts looking grungy.

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
I brought one of those lizard skins carbon fibre chain stay protectors for my trek and it never stuck right. I plain on eventually just taking it off and replacing it with electrical tape like I use on all of my other bikes. It has also actually lasted 3 years and it is just starting not to work as well. So I just would use electrical tape.
Dave

·
Registered
13,092 Posts
Put it in someone's christmas stocking.... and just go ride. My bare polished chainstay looks better than any chainstay protector I've ever seen.... even after three and a half years of hard ridin'. What are you protecting if for anyway?

Just ride.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.blueskycycling.com/product1673_35_-Lizard-Skin-Clear-Chain-Stay-Protector.htm

This is what I bought guys. It doesn't fit around my Blur chainstay. I guess I'll stick it on top then of the chainstay to protect it from the top chain.

Why do I want to protect it? hehe. I guess its just a new bike and I like to see it in good condition for a while longer. It's that newness factor. I already did lay the bike down twice, and its still hard not to drop a tear when it gets additional scratches.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
norcallifter said:
http://www.blueskycycling.com/product1673_35_-Lizard-Skin-Clear-Chain-Stay-Protector.htm

This is what I bought guys. It doesn't fit around my Blur chainstay. I guess I'll stick it on top then of the chainstay to protect it from the top chain.

Why do I want to protect it? hehe. I guess its just a new bike and I like to see it in good condition for a while longer. It's that newness factor. I already did lay the bike down twice, and its still hard not to drop a tear when it gets additional scratches.
The protector goes on the top & bottom of chain stay to protect the paint from the chain slaping especially in the smaller gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.