Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already know the real answer to my question is to go tubeless, but i'm not there yet.

Meanwhile, can anybody recommend a good website to get tubes on the cheap? My local shop is killin' me and I'm hoping to get more of a wholesale price.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Amazon...hard to imagine getting hosed on a tube, but at any rate you just might want to air 'em up a bit if your flats are of the snake-bite catagory...if punctures (thorns) are your source, you should be seriously be looking to go tubeless with a Stan's type sealer...

·
Magically Delicious
12,518 Posts
Should you elect to stay with tubes, make sure that you get tubes with removable cores and you can use slime sealant in them. I have wheels and tires that are set up both tubed (with sealant in them) and tubeless. While tubeless gets me by without having to worry about pinch flats…in all honesty, I have gone years without flats on the tubes.

I think they are less hassle than tubeless. You never have to de-booger them and if you ride where you get lots of stickers, goat heads, or thorns, you might just have to add more slime to them. If you ride where you might not need the much lower tire pressures then tubes might be a long-term consideration.

I just noticed that you're running 40 - 42 PSI? That's high enough tubes should never experience a pinch flat. I run 20-25 in tubes and 18 - 20 tubeless

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,242 Posts
FYI-Price Point tubes do not have removable cores.

Make sure you are not getting the tube pinched between the tire and rim when installing, this can cause a pinch flat like puncture. At 40-42 psi you shouldn't be having problems with pinch flats.

·
Registered
15,139 Posts
Here's a money saving option that also helps avoid some pinch flats. I run a 26x2.1-2.5 tube from Perf Bikes on sale. You need to partially inflate it for installation. Tubes stretch fine. I run 18 and sometimes less in the front and 23-25 rear for 2.25 tires. If you are getting rim hits take it up a couple pounds, depending on your terrain and riding style.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I already know the real answer to my question is to go tubeless, but i'm not there yet.

Meanwhile, can anybody recommend a good website to get tubes on the cheap? My local shop is killin' me and I'm hoping to get more of a wholesale price.
Actually, I'm not convinced tubeless is the end all be all.

Your local shop is killing you on tube prices? Going rate for a regular kinda tube is like $6-8. I get Maxxis Flyweights tubes for $14 or so from treefort bikes. It's an easy and cheap way to shed over a quarter pound of rotating weight.

Yeah, Amazon, Jenson, Ebay, etc. Problem is, if they charge you shipping, you're probably not going to save much money.

Also, have you tried patching a tube? You really get that many flats? If it's any help, 26er tubes work just fine in 29ers. You just gotta put a bit of air in them first to get them to sit inside the tire carcass.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I always had trouble patching tubes on a ride, but seem to do fine at home.

I also sometimes have problems with the glue drying in the tube.

Now I collect half a dozen flatted tubes and patch them all at once. Takes me about a half hour? I don't make $70/hour yet, so it's a pretty good use of my time, I think.

I'm fond of fancy tubes too. It's a grams/dollar ratio that's hard to beat any other way.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
local shop is charging about $7/tube which i guess is avg i just want to save some bills for future upgrades. i'm riding a cannondale trail sl4 all stock parts, got it in september, didn't ride all winter but i've had 3 flats thus far, all snake bites, around 40psi each time. no issues mid ride, but flat the next day. my local trail has a lot of roots and thorns, but my tires are fine. i'm in the process of getting my ride-bag together for less local trips and i wanted to stock up on tubes. i checked out pricepoint and yea tubes are cheaper there so that's prob the answer to my solution along w/ some slime until i upgrade my tires.

thank you all for the tips

·
Magically Delicious
12,518 Posts
. i checked out pricepoint and yea tubes are cheaper there so that's prob the answer to my solution along w/ some slime until i upgrade my tires.
Going with tubes and slime might be the way to go for you. Even if you can't get removable cores, you can still inject slime into the tube. My suggestion is to use a compressor to inflate your tire and that will blow most of the Slime out of your valve core and prevent sticking problems with the valve.

I have one set of tubed wheels that have literally thousands of miles on them with no flats because of Slime. Again, given your tire pressures that you are riding on, tubes should be fine for you. My other set of wheels are tubeless so I can run lower pressures free of pinch flats. Whatever floats yer boat!

·
Registered
968 Posts
The first summer I rode mtb I had up to 3 flats per ride. Most due to thorns etc that are everywhere from June on. My rims were not tubeless compatible and I didn't know about ghetto conversions. So I got a bottle of Stan's and removable core tubes, put some sealant in and was fine for one and a half year. Currently running the same but with joe's.Unfortunately,I've already had one failure.

·
Magically Delicious
12,518 Posts
Doesn't the slime make the wheels heavier?

It increases rotational mass and it's adding some weight, but it's way better than flats. If you're running tubeless, you're running with sealant too. Where I ride, I can't possibly consider going without it.

Most would do better by dropping a few pounds off their middle section and double up on the sealant.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'm not worried about the extra weight from any slime, my personal midsection is shrinking by the week thanks to the bike. i'll end up at walmart/target by the weekend for sure. and i always use a compressor to fill air when i'm not at the trail.

·
ready to ride
860 Posts
I didn't see this and I think it is worth mentioning. Check your rim tape. Make sure it is covering all the spoke holes properly. If not, replace. I seemed to have real issues with some inexpensive WTB rims that came stock on my bike. The rim tape never would stay in place. I ended up using gorilla tape and problem solved.

Also check to make sure you don't have any other debris around the rim and in the tire that could cause a puncture.

I think I went about 6 months without a flat then all of a sudden I have a couple. I need to follow my own advice:)

As others have said you can find less expensive tubes for around $3.00

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.