Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a thread before I found this list so I thought I would fill this out as well...Noob here trying to get into the MTB world:

1) Budget: $650 - $800...could maybe stretch more but would be tough.

2) Bikes I am looking at:

Scott Aspect 740

http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/234052/scott-aspect-740-bike/

Giant Talon 27.5 4

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/talon.27.5.4/14840/66265/#specifications

Trek X-Caliber 7

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/x_caliber_29/x_caliber_5/#

Cannondale Trail 29er 7

http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/product/view/id/31686/s/trail-6/category/931/

3) What type of riding do you intend to do?

Live in flat Central Indiana, most likely trails, cross country type riding and some road but don't want to be afraid to take it on more technical rougher trails. Will be riding with guys with $1500 FS bikes too.

4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension?

Hardtail

5) Age, weight and height.

37 Male, 5'10" - 5'11"....right between a medium and a large frame....go medium?

6) What sources will you consider buying from? LBS...can ride to the Scott dealer, the other LBS offers Cannondale\Trek\Giant and is close to work.

7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources?

YES!!! KHS\Felt\Haro\Jamis\Specialized dealers are close as well.

Big concerns:

Scott dealer I can ride to but it only has a 5 Year Warranty vs. Lifetime on others.

I know components at this pricepoint are about the same and are extremely entry level...is it worth going to $800 for an XCR vs. an XCM if I want to upgrade to a real RockShox later?

Which bike/manufacturer has the better frame durability/geometry worth upgrading on later? I like the idea of upgrading/building it to what I want.

I've rode the Scott and the Giant...honestly can't tell a difference. Large felt better...more stretched out...not as cramped.

My friend is telling me to go 27.5" vs. 29er. 27.5" SEEMED to ride and feel better but still open to 29er. Sell me!

Thanks,

FG12351

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Lifetime warranty,isn't your lifetime,it whatever the company says it is. As far size ,it depends ,I ride medium and large depending on the bike. You have a budget ,go to the other shops and see what they have.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I wouldn't worry about extra money for a different fork if you plan on upgrading later anyway...especially if the components are the same. The basic Suntour forks like that are glorified bike path suspension...not the best for any serious trail use.

I also wouldn't sweat the warranty differences...the warranty will be on the frame, not the entire bike. If you upgrade all the parts and your frame fails, you could just buy a new frame and swap all your upgraded parts onto it. Also, considering you said your riding buddies are mostly on full suspensions, you might upgrade to a completely different bike by then too.

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
I'd suggest bumping up to a X-Cal 8 for the fork. Trek Fest is now through the 14th. Negotiate for 15% of the 8.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here it is!

Well after a ton of research and riding different bikes I bought and picked up my 2014 Jamis Nemesis 650 Sport. I love it! It rides great and I think the fit of the bike and the 27.5" wheels is just what I was looking for. Hitting the trail first thing in the morning and I can't wait! Looking at ordering some pedals next. Thanks for all the help and guidance everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Gotta love a new ride.

I might suggest angling the seat down in back a just a bit, and also dropping the brake levers an inch, but that's just my preference. YMMV.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
It's kind of a rough guess, so don't quote me or anything. ;)

Dig around for some threads on how to adjust your cockpit and seat position. You don't have to get crazy about it getting things "perfect" and busting out the tape measure and level or anything, but it doesn't hurt to pick up some insight in setting your bike up to feel 'right' to you. Don't be shy about moving things around - bikes are very adjustable and the person that knows what works best for you is you. Changes to things like seat angle or brake engagement point can make a real difference in how at home you feel on a bike. Personally, I don't like my brakes to lock up until the levers are almost against the grips; I found from DHing something like that made a real difference when it came to control on rough terrain as well as being a silver bullet versus arm-pump. Point I guess is to take the time to dial your bike in - it pays off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey fg12351
I am looking at getting that same bike!
Seems to have great value for a bike with these specs.
How are you liking it?
I am in a frame size dilemma because I found this bike on clearance at the jamis factory outlet for $479 canadian dollars but there is only one left and it's a 19inch frame(i'm 5'9 with a 30.5-31 inseam).
Which size did you end up getting and how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shadowlight,

I love my Nemesis, I feel it was exactly what I was looking for.

You may be a little stretched out on a 19 inch frame, I am 5'10" and am riding a 17" but it's worth a shot. You can always get a shorter stem to help.

I think I paid $700-$750 USD new for mine.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ya it seems like a really nice bike for the money with good value.
I enjoyed the ride when I tested it but didn't get to take it on any trails. I'm just worried it might seem a bit big on the trails for me.
it's been my favourite bike I've tested so far though and it felt like a better fit than another model I tried in a 17 frame but was a 26er.
Thanks for the your input. i'm gonna go try it again and then make a decision.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts