Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Nice forum just ordered a 19" Specialized Stumpjumper HT in Black. I just wanted to see what people have to say about this model and the pluses and minus's about this baby.

Any info would help and yes i did do a search!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Glad to see you've decided to join the madness. You've bought an excellent hardtail whose lineage is legendary, and whose reputation is excellent. Not a whole lot more to say about it.

Enjoy the bike and be sure to let us know how you like it.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob,

all the bikes i ever owned were specialized. The last spec i have owned was a 05 stumpy fsr, loved it but it bobbed like an apple in water when i got heavy footed or uphill. i am a big guy, 5'11" 280lbs so i figured i go HT this time and eliminate the rear shock. the epic looks nice and i hear that rear shock actually works but i feel more confident in the stumpy.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Black?

everybody knows red is faster:p

If this is the bike here: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22280&bikeTab=techspec

Edit: argh! Stupid URL... Is it the stumpjumper base model?

It comes with disc hubs on it so...

and you ride where it's wet, upgrade the brakes to disc at the LBS, they should cut you a deal for taking the vbrakes off as they are new and unused.

Bike looks like excellent value!
Good riding, Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey, that's MY bike, too!

:thumbsup: Spydaz,
Great choice! Been riding a stumpy HT disc since March. Light, fast and fool-proof! (except for my bone crunching endo in Oct). Tires could be better, but doesn't everyone say that?. good riding. jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JimC: I bought the COMP not the base model the one up from that one. SRAM 7 and Hydraulic Discs as well as truativ crank etc...

I cannot wait till i get her on the 8th. We just got about 2in of snow on the ground this morning so its going to be slick the day i get her, hope i can get some riding in.

What tires are good in the snow?? Do they even make tires for snow? Tire chains? LOL

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Studded tires

Spydaz said:
What tires are good in the snow?? Do they even make tires for snow? Tire chains? LOL
Look around, you'll find that there are studded mtb tires out there. Pretty expensive as I recall, but probably a worthwhile investment if you ride year round in an area that sees a lot of snow in winter. In the meantime, I'd just take the bike out in the snow as is. It's slippery, but fun!

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
Look around, you'll find that there are studded mtb tires out there. Pretty expensive as I recall, but probably a worthwhile investment if you ride year round in an area that sees a lot of snow in winter. In the meantime, I'd just take the bike out in the snow as is. It's slippery, but fun!

Bob
I will take a look, it is fun to slip and slide! I just can't wait to ride!!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
snow...schmow.....

We ride snow on the North Shore in Vancouver ...snow big deal;)

Simply deflate tires for descents to 15/20lbs and you'll find plenty of traction.

If it's icy, then maybe studs, but here ice = no riding, a slip on ice can cause a really bad fall of serious consequence.

Nice bike, you'll love it, one of my 2 rides is the FSR comp from '06, and it's a wonderful ride. However, the rider is dubious at best.

Cheers, Jim

Pic is not me, just for the visual of reality here sometimes....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.