Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I used to ride a cheap Fuji MTB long ago, and then had no time to ride anymore due to life, and school and such.

Well anyway, I have agreen Trek Mountain Track bike no suspension from i dunno when, I will try to post a pic or two later today. Anyway, my questions are very simple, It obviously needs a quick going through with maintenance since it has been barely ridden since purchased new. I was wondering if I could use WD-40 as a cleaner for the chain, NOT AS A chain oil. and then use a ptfe based oil called SUPER LUBE for the chain and the various cables and such.

Also what other things should I take a look at on the bicycle? It has shimano everything on it, if that means anything.

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
well the wd-40 does more to displace water and such not really degrease wich is what you are tryin to do..Id look more at a household degreaser if you didt want to go out and buy something made for degreasing a chain..I use grease lightning.....kinda went through this 2 days ago...here's a link

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=428208

As for other things to look at the cassett, derailers, cables, tightin all the secrews and bolts, and take a look at your brake pades and braking surfaces...might wanna check out the basic cleaning and maintence guide its a sticky at the top of this forum

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i read all the stickys and stuff, I am gonna go through everything asap and then test it all out. here are the specs i found about this bike, it is a

1996 trek 820
Bicycle Type Mountain bike, non-suspension
Sugg Retail $349.99
Weight 29.0
Sizes 14.5", 16.5", 18", 19.5", 21", 22.5", 24.5", womens 17", womens 20"
Colors Gray/green, green

Frame & Fork
Frame Construction TIG-welded steel
Frame Tubing Material Chromoly/hi-tensile steel
Fork Brand & Model Trek
Fork Material Chromoly, unicrown crown
Rear Shock Not applicable

Components
Component Group Shimano Altus C90
Brakeset Shimano Altus brakes, Chang Star 274A levers
Shift Levers Grip Shift MRX-100
Front Derailleur Shimano Altus top-swing, bottom-pull/bottom bracket mount
Rear Derailleur Shimano AceraX
Crankset Shimano Altus, 24/32/38 teeth
Pedals Wellgo LU-945
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-CT91, 116 mm spindle
BB Shell Width 68mm English
Rear Cogs 7-speed, 11 - 28 teeth
Chain KMC UG-50, 1/2 x 3/32"
Seatpost Alloy, 26.6 mm diameter
Saddle Trek foam
Handlebar Steel
Handlebar Extensions Not included
Handlebar Stem Steel
Headset 1" HPO1H

Wheels
Hubs
Rims Weinmann 519, 36-hole
Tires 26 x 1.95" Trek Connection
Spoke Brand Steel, 2.0mm straight gauge
Spoke Nipples Brass nipples

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I used to have a Trek 820 when I was in high school. Before it was stolen at college, the only thing stock was the frame. It was a good bike, took some hard crashes and I didn't maintain it like I should have. Your bike still looks brand new. Once you've gone over everything you read in the stickys you're probably good to go. Make sure the brakes grip good and the gears shift smooth. You might want to replace the tubes and check the rubber on the tires. Even without use they could be brittle enough from age to cause problems. Rigid steel bikes are fun. Just make sure you use your legs to absorb ruts and roots and pick good lines.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rubber looks great, that is the first thing i checked and the tubes are also great. the rear tire seems to have a slight wobble to it, .... nevermind I am soo anal about this crap, I looked again and the wobble i though i saw while spinning the tire was actually the whole bike moving lol.

I like it so far and everything seems perfect, i just need to adjust the brakes and gears and such. the gears felt fine just the brakes need adjusting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.