Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I'm an intermediate weekend warrior. 195lbs
I've got a Hoo Koo E Koo(2004), pre-disc edition, that I want to upgrade to discs.

Costs are a concern but I'd really like to notice the value of my upgrade.
Currently planning on Avid BB7s with Speed Levers. Passed over HFX9s due to concerns of maintenance and long-term wear complaints. Can't justify the costs of Juicy 7s.

As far as the wheelset goes, I've been a long-time lurker on a set of Mavic Crossrides/Crosslands. They get great reviews, I really like the look, and the thought of buying a reputable entry level wheel has been sticking with me despite my desire to save money. I just found a nice set for $169 w/ free shipping.]

So, before I plunk down the cash, is there a wheelset out there that I am missing that is better or under $120? I'd like to make the purchase soon and any expert guidance would be most helpful.

BTW, I think I need a disc adapter for the rear disc caliper. Anyone know for certain? Been doing all my research online and haven't talked to a mech yet.

Cheers.
-j

·
Registered
906 Posts
I was also looking at the crossrides/lands but I have heard mixed reviews on their reliability. That plus a few horror stories of destroyed pawls in mavic rear hubs steered me away from the cheaper mavic-built mavics. See the second post here. I ended up ordering Mavic 717/XT hubs from BWW. $190.

BWW has a few wheelsets in your price range that look OK... but nothing I have had experience with.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've just decided to sell a front disc and wheel if you want to try that route first. I've got an Avid BB7 front brake caliper and a Sun-Ringle disc-o-tec wheel that I would sell for $125. Both are lightly used - the brake was on a hardtail that I upgraded the front end to disc for a few months while I was between full suspension bikes and the wheel is from a back up set that I had around. I'm getting a 29er so I have no use for a 26 inch front wheel anymore. You might find that a disc on the front only is good enough. That's how I ran my hardtail. You should be able to reuse your existing levers, assuimng you have V-brakes. The BB7 will work on a post or standard mount fork. The disc-o-tec wheels were Sun's top of the line disc race wheels at the time - 400 gram rim, butted spokes, smooth rolling, sealed bearing hub, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks FRS. The 717 rim looks to be a very well regarded option, but I think its a bit steep for me. With shipping and tax, I'd be over $200. The Crossride is all inclusive @ $169. How about this option? http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=46

I see that the 317 rim isn't quite as loved, but I'd be out of there for under $150 which would be good. I'm starting grad school in the fall, so I'm watching my pennies.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have never heard of/seen a review of the hub they use on that wheel. As a self-proclaimed weekend warrior the 317 is probably plenty of rim.

I'd imagine you'd be happy with either. However, the crossrides are ~300 grams lighter (which is very good) and $170 is a decent price (My LBS want's $220 for that wheelset). I'd probably find it hard to pass on the crossrides in your situation.

Bear in mind however I'm a noob here as well!

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
I'd vote for the Shimano XT hubs with x317s .. I ran 317s with DT 240s hubs and beat them mercilessly on my hardtail (even a few endurance races); I loved em.

I am sure the Mavic wheels are great as well, I have just heard from my LBS (who sells a lot of them, coincidentally) that the rear hubs aren't too great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks all.
I think the 317 with the XT hub will do nicely. I've noticed more and more folks complaining about the Crossrides, so it's hard to trust them. Much obliged.

-j

·
Registered
453 Posts
great. I was going to ask this exact question. I have a Specialized rock hopper that I want to upgrade to discs. I guess that means new wheels. I was hoping to get juicy 7 though for my other bike, and move the 5s down onto the Spec. Well see.

Anyway, I have marked the Mavic 317s with the shimano hub for my next bike purchase!

·
Some guy
347 Posts
I've had the CrossRides fopr a year with no complaints. I'm ~200 lbs and not especially graceful. They've taken their share of hits and still run reasonably true. I can't really make any complaints against them for the price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.