Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i currently have a completely stock RALEIGH MOJAVE 8.0 i would like to purchase new full suspension frame and just transfer my parts over. Could this be done? or will it all be different. If this could work, what frame would you suggest. i mostly do rocky trails with fast turns with jumps and drops.

·
guy who bikes
39 Posts
what's your price range for the frame? i would also recommend taking your current bike into a bike shop and getting them to check the compatibility, because it's a lot easier to do in person.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There are several things to watch out for when swapping components:
- Compare the head tube length on the current frame vs. the new frame. Some frames have shorter head tubes and the fork steerer is cut to match. If the new frame has a head tube length close to the same as the old frame, then the fork would swap over. If the head tube of the new frame is 1" or so longer, then the fork steerer tube could be too short to work.
- You should see if the new frame takes the same type of headset as the old frame. If so, then you'll have to remove the headset cups from old frame and press into new frame. Unless you want to buy the tools, you'll have to have the bike shop do that for you. You could buy a brand new headset, but that will still have to have the cups pressed into the new frame (unless the frame comes with a complete headset).
- For the bottom bracket and crank to work by swapping from old frame to new, you'll have to make sure both frames have the same bottom bracket width, either 68mm wide or 73mm wide. Again unless you have the crank and bottom bracket tools, the bike shop will have to do the swap for you
- Front derailleurs come in three diameters. If the seattube diameter of the old frame is the same as the new frame, then the front derailleur might work. It looks like the Mojave 8.0 front derailleur cable comes down from the top and pulls the linkage up, this would be a 'top pull', and may work if the new frame is the same diameter and same top pull (some front derailleurs pull from under the bottom bracket and are 'bottom pull'). Then there are the 'high clamp' type and 'low clamp' type of front derailleurs. Depending on the pivots and such of the new full suspension, your old derailleur might work or might not based on the clamp location. Depending on all these issues, you might just have to buy the correct derailleur to fit the new frame.
- The cable stops on the frame for the front and rear derailleurs are probably going to be in different locations on the new frame, which would mean you might have to cut fresh outer housing to fit the cable stops. Depending on the routing of the derailleur cables between the two frames, you might find the inner cable is too short to work on the new frame, meaning you'd have to replace old inner cable with new cable.
- The Mojave specs show it uses a 27.2mm seatpost. If the new frame is the same, you can swap, if the new frame requires a different diameter seatpost, you'll have to buy a new one and the corresponding seatclamp.
- Your old rear cable disc brake should bolt onto the new frame, and hopefully the existing cable length works on the new frame.
- Your old rear derailleur and rear wheel will attach to new frame without any issues. You can either get a new chain and cut to correct length for new frame or remove your old one and reuse. This should work as long as the chainstay length is close to the same on both frames.

So it can be done, with careful consideration of the above and the correct tools.

The components on your Mojave lean towards the entry level/heavier side of the scale, so what you'll end up with is a full suspension bike that is on the entry level/heavier side of the scale. Full suspension frames can go for as little as $300-400 used on ebay to $1000 to $1500 or more. So depending on how much you can spend on the frame, you might be better off just buying a complete used full suspension bike that's a few years old, but with better/lighter components.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Pedal_Bob- def. will talk to the folks at my LBS

@Whitedog- i see your point. if im going to lash out on a new frame im just going to buy a new full suspension bike. im a 15 year old kid and get around on my bike. Keep the Mojave for basic 'around town' rides. FS bike for the local trails.

As for now, ill keep exploring the forums!

·
I can ride a two-wheeler
647 Posts
keep your hardtail for your cross-country rides, and town rides and all that

and then get a downhill, freeride, or pretty aggressive all-mountain bike (like a santa cruz nomad) for trails like you're saying with jumps and drops and whatnot

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
... keep ... hardtail for your cross-country rides, and town rides ...
... downhill, freeride, or pretty aggressive all-mountain bike ... jumps and drops ...
that is quite logical ...
but on the other hand some do like aggressive HTs with big forks and wheelsets ...

TF
do make sure your current fork and wheelset can take the beating that you intend to give it ...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chinaman - just got back from some local trails. im going to purchase a new fork. i kept hearing strange sounds on the trail, the place i was at today didnt have drops or anything, just mostly technical downhills with one fast trail. my plan for now is to keep upgrading my Raleigh, eventually purchasing a new frame.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
really not sure how to describe it. i need to replace it because my preload adjuster knob broke off. i now have no way to adjust my shock. its really frustrating because im constantly going form concrete to trails and jumps.

·
I can ride a two-wheeler
647 Posts
ThomasFerrer said:
really not sure how to describe it. i need to replace it because my preload adjuster knob broke off. i now have no way to adjust my shock. its really frustrating because im constantly going form concrete to trails and jumps.
well then all you have to do is change the preload knob....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.