Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i currently own a Santa Cruz 5010 alloy and love it and i am definatley not interested in selling it. It is a great bike and very snappy. Anyways i want to get into to DH and i have seen the brand "Iron Horse" a lot on pinkbike. Is iron horse a good brand? they seem to be everywhere on pinkbike and ebay for used bikes.

-Thanks

·
Uphill? What's that
661 Posts
Iron horse used to make good bikes. They have been out of business for a few years now. Buying one of them now could be risky because I don't think you can get spare parts for them anymore.. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agreed with Rob. Thats all i hear about IH here in SoCal. I almost got one myself (since they seem to sell for decent prices) before i inquired with my bike tech about them..

personally, id look at other options.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like them a lot. They are a very good value. I'm a big fan of DW Link bikes (own a Ibis Mojo SL, IH 6.8 and an IH Sunday). Apart from Iron Horses, DW Links usually cost an arm and a leg.

I purchased a brand new 2006 Sunday Elite frame last year for 600 and built it up. I can still get all the bearings for them so I'm not sure which parts I'm going to need unless of course I catastrophically break something. If that happens, I'm out $600 bucks which is still relatively little compared to what the build itself costs.

The thing I really like about the Sunday is the DW Link suspension and the modern geometry. I put a 2 deg angleset on mine so now it has a 63 degree head angle and a 13.2" bottom bracket height. The bike pedals fantastically and has almost no brake jack.

If you're going to get a Sunday, try to get an 07 or higher. One thing I should mention though is the frame is a Race DH frame and not an FR frame. The Geometry is made for going fast downhill as opposed to getting pop off of lips.

itzg.jpg
titd.jpg
6x0o.jpg
i9jw.jpg
yp1k.jpg

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
If it's an Iron Horse Sunday or a 7 point, you'll be fine. Enduro still makes bearings for the Sunday and there's other companies that make the DW link and the F7 link. I'm not light by any means(250-275 over the years) but my 07 Sunday still runs strong and I don't see any reason to get rid of it. Don't waste your money on an angleset. Go ride it and have fun. The bike worked for years without one, but it's the new thing that everyone "needs" cause new bikes have a 56.7* head tube. Buy it, ride it, be happy! Make adjustments that you feel you need after.
Welcome to the DH club. You'll have a good time for sure! Ttyl, Fahn

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

·
Registered
994 Posts
I too am a fan of DW Link bikes. I owned a Sunday a few years ago, and my current downhill bike is a DW Link Turner DHR. I also have a 2007 IH 7 Point that is a "loaner" bike that I let friends ride when they want to try riding some downhill terrain. I am currently building a IH 6 Point as my trail bike, which will probably see the most seat time in the coming months. Just use common sense when buying one, other than that you can't go wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts