Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couple questiions

first of all, what is the reason for dual crown?? couldn't you just have a 8", stiff single crown fork? or does it have something to do with strength??

secondly, what are the average HA's and SA's from downhill to allmountain bikes

ill proboly think of sumtin later, sry for asking dumb question
and in davance thanx:thumbsup:

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
There are no 8" single crown forks... Dual crowns are usually stronger and better for more travel. I currently have a 9" travel dual crown fork... Single crowns only go up to 7"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moosey said:
There are no 8" single crown forks... Dual crowns are usually stronger and better for more travel. I currently have a 9" travel dual crown fork... Single crowns only go up to 7"
i know that my question was kinda in theory, couldnt one have a 8" single crown instead of a 8" dual crown. thanx anyway

·
Registered
467 Posts
blades-noob said:
i know that my question was kinda in theory, couldnt one have a 8" single crown instead of a 8" dual crown. thanx anyway
In real life, a single crown flexes a lot more and therefore needs to be reinforced. And reinforcement adds weight. Dual crown forks are stiffer by design, so they don't need to be as reinforced.

But the biggest advantage is that the controls are right up there by your bars :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dual crown forks use smaller lower crown than single crown. A 8" DC forks will have about the same axle to crown length than a 7" SC fork which is better in some ways...

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Manitou Travis came in a 203mm version, but I suspect that they are exceptionally rare. A DC fork generally is stiffer, and therefore tracks better in the chunder.

Geometry changes all the time. An AM bike now typically has a HA of 67*-68*. A DH bike will be at least a couple of degrees slacker than that. 64* seems to be something of a magic number lately, but you can get away with anything below 67* I'd say. THe slacker angles add a fair bit to the stability of the bike at speed. When you are going slow, DH angles are not all that fun as the front wheel can get a bit floppy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
cantin03 said:
Dual crown forks use smaller lower crown than single crown. A 8" DC forks will have the same axle to crown length than a SC fork which is better in some ways...
Which DC fork have the same A-C length as single crown? I only know Boxxer A-C close to Totem (but not the same).
Define your type of riding, if youre not into a serious DH racing and will pedal your bike in most rides, i can see no problem with single crown , 7 inch fork. It can handle lots of DH runs too. Yeah, i wish theres DC fork with the same AC as single crown, DC just too tall for my type or riding, but i like the long travel though.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
roel said:
Which DC fork have the same A-C length as single crown?
None are exactly the same, but almost all the 180mm single crowns on the market are 5-10mm shorter than a dual crown. That isn't much of a difference.

·
Registered
461 Posts
ccspecialized said:
But the biggest advantage is that the controls are right up there by your bars :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Are you retarded? What trails are you riding where you can pull your hand off the bars to mess with your spring preload? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Techfreak said:
The Manitou Travis came in a 203mm version, but I suspect that they are exceptionally rare. A DC fork generally is stiffer, and therefore tracks better in the chunder.

Geometry changes all the time. An AM bike now typically has a HA of 67*-68*. A DH bike will be at least a couple of degrees slacker than that. 64* seems to be something of a magic number lately, but you can get away with anything below 67* I'd say. THe slacker angles add a fair bit to the stability of the bike at speed. When you are going slow, DH angles are not all that fun as the front wheel can get a bit floppy.
thanx, you are the first person that answered my question

1 - 10 of 10 Posts