Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm a noob in regard to the whole greater than "big box store" bike scene, and I'm checking out a Craigslist deal on a KHS Full Suspension frame with, as the seller put it, "add-on part;" the seller also indicated that it is a 26er, and he didn't feel like texting any more additional info. He is offering this package for $220. Hypothetically--if this the bike is of adequate riding and functioning condition--does anyone think there is a chance that this deal is potentially not worth it, and are any of you able to offer any advice on what I may possibly need to look for, e.g., typical fatiguing, cracking, or other such common issueswith this brand? As I stated previously, I'm a noob, so I'm pretty much walking at dusk with sunglasses on. Any advice is appreciated, and--if I'm the wrong place--please let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, no. However, I'm definitely going to check it out as extensively as I can, as well as make sure it hasn't been reported stolen or anything, prior to even considering handing over the cash.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Sounds like way too much of a risk to me. Look for ads with enough info to identify the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. I think I might have found someone a little more knowledgeable to help me check it out, so hopefully it works out. It's either this or a new beginner hardtail unless I find a better option down the road. Thanks for the opinions.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
How long have you been watching Craig's List? My track bike took me a couple weeks - it can take a little patience.

Also, make a few calls. A lot of shops do a small business in used bikes and some really emphasize it. That has a lot of the advantages of buying retail, but you'll still stretch your dollars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've watched it for a couple of weeks, and nothing really caught my eye due to other various turn offs, but yeah I think I may have to get in touch with my local shop, and see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
Doing a fs on the cheap is most likely a money pit or a very poor performing finished product for a beginner. I hope your friend can work with you on finding something decent.

Look at this if the guy has the original receipt. You can then get an upgrade Raidon fork from Nick at Suntour and have a rideable bike.
2013 Diamondback Response XE 29er

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked it out. It's not bad. Turns out guy is selling it because he has a disability now. I was actually pleasantly surprised; there was almost no rust on it, and just needs a little elbow grease, some new cables, and maybe some new tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Buying it tomorrow afternoon. lol I wasn't planning on taking cash to a first Craigslist meet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bike.jpg Here you go. However, I could resist christening it with some fresh mud. Had to do some temporary brake and front derailleur adjustments, but once I get around to the rear it will be rolling really nice.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
They look a little pathetic, clean, anyway.

When you want to set it up for your body, Google "peter white fit." You're likely to need a new seat post, but that's about a $15 item.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah for sure. It's honestly a tad small for me it's a 17 inch, and I'm 6ft, but I still love it! =) Thanks for the tip!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts