Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've got my eye on some used avid juicy 3's for $70

1) I welcome any two cents you may have to offer (as far as I know these are recently discontinued, bad?)

2) Should I try to spend more than that for a semi decent set of hydraulic brakes that'll last me a little while?

3) Through shopping around for brakes, I've noticed everyone's offering discs and adapters and mounts and whatnot with the brakes, none of which come with the set I have my eye on. Do I need to worry about compatibility on my current bike. I have a 2011 Scott Aspect 40 with the stock shimano mech disc brakes with I think 160mm rotors.

I know we noobs are annoying, but your help would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
1) They weren't discontinued becuase they were bad, just the way SRAM owned companies tend to do things, they rename new series of stuff usually. Not saying the Juicys were good, lots of people had problems but some didn't. They were hit or miss, with a lot of miss.

2) Depends on how much you want to spend, if you want something with a better track record that's reliable and cheap (though not hydraulic) check out the BB7s really well liked mechanical disks. Some prefer even prefer them to hydros. If really want good hydraulics and are OK with spending a little more (Around $130 an end), the Shimano SLX brakes are well liked.

3) Your bike should already have the adapter mounted. Should just be take off the old brakes put on the new ones.

Don't worry about it, we were all new once :thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody heard anything about Hayes stroker trails? Reviews on here are mostly positive...

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
332 Posts
Avid Juicy 3s were not bad brakes; what they lacked were reach adjustment and pad contact adjustment available to higher end brakes. Without these 2 adjustments, it's difficult to get the front and rear brake levers to feel the same; even with a perfect bleed, due to the difference in hosing length, the front and rear brake levers will have slightly different firmness and the pads will engage at different lever pull positions.

IF (and that's a big IF) the set you purchase don't have sticky pistons and they're setup properly, the Juicy 3s should give you many years of good braking performance.

As Venku wrote, your existing adapters should work just fine, unless you're also getting new rotors bigger than the current 160mm units on your bike. I also agree that Avid's mechanical BB7s will be an excellent alternative, especially when paired with Avid's SD7 levers, to the Juicy 3s.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So adaptors I guess move the calipers around for different size rotors?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts