Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow bikers. I assume most if not all of you have been to Sea Otter in previous years. This year I'm taking my wife to check it out and see what's it's like. My question is what should I expect/look for while I'm there to keep me in touch of what's happening there. Also, I want to make it fun for my wife as well, so any tips on turning a non-mtbr (wife) into an entertained fan of mtbing?
 

·
Track Junkie
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
If you haven't found a place to stay, we've got a little bit of camp-site left open that's avalible.

Fri, Sat, Sun are the big days. Sat is a great day, just be sure to stay late for all the evening activities.

Bring walking shoes if you don't have bikes.

Be sure to hit the Vendor area when it's in full-swing. impressive and crowed.

bring lots of cash, you could score her a deal on a new/used bike that'll get her motiveated to ride with you.

Don't pressure her into anything. Let her deside what to do by reading the brocure and having you describe what would be interesting.

It's worked with my current GF, and this will be her 1st 'otter, and my 10th.

-B
 

·
Feeling a little taller
Joined
·
6,705 Posts
Urban_Legend said:
Hey fellow bikers. I assume most if not all of you have been to Sea Otter in previous years. This year I'm taking my wife to check it out and see what's it's like. My question is what should I expect/look for while I'm there to keep me in touch of what's happening there. Also, I want to make it fun for my wife as well, so any tips on turning a non-mtbr (wife) into an entertained fan of mtbing?
My almost non MTB wife will be joining me down there on Friday evening and will be looking for other semi or non MTB wives, girlfriends, boyfriends and husbands. I think she calls it a support group for concerned lovers of MTB-addicts...
 

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
Joined
·
4,165 Posts
Here's a silly question... This'll be my first time too. sniff.
I'm heading down for just Saturday. Is it worth to drive in and park or to park somewhere nearby and bike in? Then what to do with the bike?

Werner
 
G

·
wg said:
Here's a silly question... This'll be my first time too. sniff.
I'm heading down for just Saturday. Is it worth to drive in and park or to park somewhere nearby and bike in? Then what to do with the bike?

Werner
I think parking is free this year and they are charging people to get into the vendor area, but I am not sure about that.

If you ride your bike in you want to avoid the main gate, as the first hill as a huge incline of about 30 degress i think. Take the side gate. As to what to do with you bike when you get there, ride it around, its faster then walking!!!!!!

Definately do not lock it up, as it will not be safe.......keep it with you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
BRacing said:
Be sure to hit the Vendor area when it's in full-swing. impressive and crowed.

bring lots of cash, you could score her a deal on a new/used bike that'll get her motiveated to ride with you.
What kind of deals were there last year? I read this to my wife and she's telling me no more bikes because I'm out of rack space in the apartment, but you know rules are meant to be broken :D
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,654 Posts
BRacing said:
If you haven't found a place to stay, we've got a little bit of camp-site left open that's avalible.

Fri, Sat, Sun are the big days. Sat is a great day, just be sure to stay late for all the evening activities.

Bring walking shoes if you don't have bikes.

Be sure to hit the Vendor area when it's in full-swing. impressive and crowed.

bring lots of cash, you could score her a deal on a new/used bike that'll get her motiveated to ride with you.

Don't pressure her into anything. Let her deside what to do by reading the brocure and having you describe what would be interesting.

It's worked with my current GF, and this will be her 1st 'otter, and my 10th.

-B
That's good advice IMO.
 

·
Track Junkie
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Deals. From last years factory sponsord rides, to one-offs and clearance items. Lots of clothing and general schwag.

Honestly, if you're not competitng, don't bring your bikes. You can walk everwhere easily, and you won't have to worry about locking your bikes or someone stealing them.

-B
 

·
Medium?
Joined
·
6,731 Posts
Whoaohohohoh said:
Definately do not lock it up, as it will not be safe.......keep it with you
Not that I recommend leaving your bike lying around, but I've only heard of one bike getting stolen at Sea Otter in all the years I've been attending, and that was a new bike that was ridden off during a test ride; Ventana, I think.

There's always going to be a better bike than yours nearby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
Not that I recommend leaving your bike lying around, but I've only heard of one bike getting stolen at Sea Otter in all the years I've been attending, and that was a new bike that was ridden off during a test ride; Ventana, I think.

There's always going to be a better bike than yours nearby.
They will have a hospitality area this year (on that little island) which will have a place to secure bikes as well as personal items.

Sabine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Urban_Legend said:
Hey fellow bikers. I assume most if not all of you have been to Sea Otter in previous years. This year I'm taking my wife to check it out and see what's it's like. My question is what should I expect/look for while I'm there to keep me in touch of what's happening there. Also, I want to make it fun for my wife as well, so any tips on turning a non-mtbr (wife) into an entertained fan of mtbing?
Yes, bring her by our booth. We'll show her how much fun women can have riding. We'll be in the team support area. You can't miss us.

Sabine
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,654 Posts
Sabine said:
Yes, bring her by our booth. We'll show her how much fun women can have riding. We'll be in the team support area. You can't miss us.

Sabine
This isn't lip service...but I gotta say, the Bellas are the coolest thing going.
An invaluable part of the (female) mtb/cycling community.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Rumpfy said:
This isn't lip service...but I gotta say, the Bellas are the coolest thing going.
An invaluable part of the (female) mtb/cycling community.
Well shucks. Thanks.

I found out that our team will be racing just about every event offered including:
Pro UCI Stage Race, Pro MTB stage race, Pro Gravity Omnium, Amateur road and circuit races, amateur downhill and dual slalom, and amateur cross country, including singlespeed and tandem. Covers just about everything but dirt jumping and clydesdales!

And for you vintage folks, I'll be racing the tandem on an old Ibis Cousin It. Except we took off the steel fork and replaced it with a big ol White Bros tandem fork. We also had Hunter weld on some disk brake tabs and Brent at Phil Wood helped us out with some great disk wheels and hubs. So I guess its not quite so vintage anymore.

But yeah, come by our booth and say Hi.

Sabine
 

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
Joined
·
4,165 Posts
Hmmm, looking at the map might be usefull just to have the bike to move around the venue. And to find the Glomar and its owner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,760 Posts
were within walking distance

wg said:
Hmmm, looking at the map might be usefull just to have the bike to move around the venue. And to find the Glomar and its owner.
of almost eveything. So if you want to keep your bike at the campground your on. Also luging a bike through the venue AND over the bridges really isnt fun. It gets real crowded
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,654 Posts
Sabine said:
Well shucks. Thanks.

I found out that our team will be racing just about every event offered including:
Pro UCI Stage Race, Pro MTB stage race, Pro Gravity Omnium, Amateur road and circuit races, amateur downhill and dual slalom, and amateur cross country, including singlespeed and tandem. Covers just about everything but dirt jumping and clydesdales!

And for you vintage folks, I'll be racing the tandem on an old Ibis Cousin It. Except we took off the steel fork and replaced it with a big ol White Bros tandem fork. We also had Hunter weld on some disk brake tabs and Brent at Phil Wood helped us out with some great disk wheels and hubs. So I guess its not quite so vintage anymore.

But yeah, come by our booth and say Hi.

Sabine
That's sweet! Like a 'restomod'...I've done that with some of my oldies too. Still vintage in my book.

I'll do my best to stop by!
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,591 Posts
Dumb question

Is cell reception good around Laguna Seca? I did not check it last time I went there, but I'll need it to find my other half after the race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Hi everyone, I know it's getting close but I have a couple more noob questions.

I'm not racing, I probably won't bring my bike. However, since there are some good "deals" how much money should I bring so I can maybe take home some cool trinkets? (I am thinking about 250$ is this enough to buy anything interesting? I dont really want to max out my credit card so I'm probably going to force myself to leave it at home).

Im coming from santa cruz, when should I leave to get there at a good time for parking/everthing? (edit: forgot to mention I'm currently planning on coming sat morning, leaving saturday night - unless someone convinces me to stay the night.)

Sat night activities sound fun, what kind of stuff is going on? I was planning on driving back saturday night. Is it worth it to stay saturday night? If yes, and if it's possible what's the deal on those campsite spaces someone mentioned were still open? Would you be ok with a newbie type like me? What'll it cost me?

I too have a GF who isn't interested in bikes at all. Is she going to be bored out of her mind if I bring her?

Any other advice for the first timer on what the best/coolest stuff is to see or do? or is it just generally fun and exciting?

I'm pretty pumped, I wish I could stay all four days! Please excuse the kid in a candy store tone of this post :)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top