Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I sold my 1st gen Nomad a couple weeks back and am super psyched to get a Mojo HD. I will demo on this weekend to ensure absolutely positively it is the next bike for me.

But, in the meantime I have questions for the Ibis experts out there:
1. Does the OEM Talas 160mm that comes on the Mojo HD have the much-talked-about kashima coating?
2. Have the problems with the Crank Bros Iodine Wheels been worked out? (I have never seen such hateful reviews of wheelsets as the ones for the Iodines)
3. I am going with the bigger rotors (203/180) - any drawback to this?
4. Upgraded Cane Creek headset - worth it? (Still have a bad taste in my mouth from the POS OEM Cane Creek that was on my Nomad - hated that junk)

Thanks to anyone taking a moment to read and answer my questions!! :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
1. NO, and it is worth it. The talas is not worth it, especially with the 160 fork. Go with a 160 Float.
2. I recommend stans flows w/ hub of choice, they are an extremely versatile rim, and worth it in the long run.
3. Thats what I run, and they are perfect
4. Have had no probs with cane creek zs-3

·
but i want to ride now
134 Posts
1.It doesn't, the Talas only makes sense if your'e riding the bike as a heavy duty cross country bike.
2.No, just no, the crank brothers may be pretty, but they are certainly on the bottom of the list when it comes to AM wheels. Crossmax SX, Easton Haven or Havoc, Or a handbuilt wheel w/ stans flows makes sense.
3.Nope, no drawback at all other than a few grams. Go this way if you intend to ride the bike hard on long descents and/or weigh 190+
4.Ehh, headsets don't make a huge amount of diff. The cane creek is decent simply because it has cartridge bearings. You could upgrade to the chris king, the only thing it will hurt is your wallet

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
1. get a lyrik
2. 2nd the flows. Best rim I've had to date.
3. nope, do it
4. I've never found spending a ton of money on a headset to be worth it. They do come in pretty colors though, which is why I got one...

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
1. Yes. Get a Lyrik. 170mm DH. Excellent all-around.
2. 3rd for the flows. Love them. I have two sets on duty right now.
3. Big rotors= big fun.
4. I like Chris King. I don't know why but I do. Get one of their headsets. They are nice.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Just to add...I have been riding my hd with a fox 180mm on it, and while it is a whole ball of fun and climbs surprisingly well, I think 170mm of travel on the front is the magic number for the HD.
BTW, the new fox forks feel unbelievable, and in the past I have not been much of a fox fork fan.

·
Registered
710 Posts
1. No Kashima on the OEM fork. Get a Lyrik DH
2. Flows with good hubs. Love my Hadley/Flows
3. Nope.
4. Buy and forget. I have the CC 110 which will last forever (as will the CK)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow!! Thanks all, for your answers! I owe you all a beer.

So, I think the consensus is: Lyric 170mm fork, big rotors no prob, and OEM headset is good enough.

I suppose my LBS will ding me for switching out the fork from the OEM build - hopefully not tooo much though (I hope).

What I am most worried about is the wheelset... My LBS is *really* pushing the Iodines - particularly because right now they are a free upgrade from Ibis (same cost as the Stans rims/Joytec hubs).

When I expressed my concerns about the poor reviews (play in hubs, rims not staying true) on the Crank Bros wheelset the owner at the LBS tried to assuage my fears by telling me the first batch of Iodines had problems but now they are really strong, problem-free wheels.

I asked him about other options and he replied, "Welp, we can build you a custom wheelset, maybe with some Chris King hubs and the Stan's rims but you are talking about a $7000-1000 upgrade." :eek:

Is ANYONE running the more recent Iodines or are they just junk and without question I should pay for some decent wheels...? Or should I just stick with the stockers?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
A set of Flows with King Hubs should be in the $750.00 range retail (I got mine at mtn high cyclery), hopes with flows are also a good less expensive option, and for a moderate priced pre built wheel the Sun Ringle Charger which use a flow rim are hard to beat. I've seen them as low as $400.
I have to say the King hubs are kinda worth it in the long run. The engagement can be felt on the climbs, they are super smooth, and bomb proof. All other hubs I've tried (DT, hopes, etc) I've had some issue with, but not the Kings.

·
boardguru
216 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my Iodines that are on my HD. Bought them last spring for a frame only build up and have ridden them since April 2010. It's not like I ride them on bike paths either. Pretty much hammered on them on a lot of Utah trails (rocky ones) and a week last November in Moad, twice on the whole enchilada. No issues whatsoever. Maybe I'm just lucky, but even Scott Nichol runs CB wheels on his Mojo.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Get the Iodines, sell them new and use the funds to get flows/kings/i9s/hopes/hadleys.

or

The wheels may not be that bad. CB does have great customer service, so even if they have problems you'll likely be taken care of.

·
Registered
830 Posts
no problems with my iodines (bought them used for my FSR) but i would def. love to have a LIGHTER SET of wheels on the bike.. (they are a bit heavy in built form- rim,hub,spokes,cassette etc) but DAM THEY ARE A SEXY RIM !!!!

·
603 Posts
additional questions

Figured I'd just tack my questions on this thread instead of starting a new one. I hope the CAMUS doesn't mind my partial hijack. I've been following this thread and have appreciated everyone's replies.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm looking to replace my gen1 Nomad and the HD is the leading contender.
My background: I live in Colorado / technical backcountry trails / long days at altitude / tons of climbing before the descents, etc....bla, bla, bla. This is my first post in the IBIS forum.
I've been a long time SCB supporter but it may be a time for a change. The HD's slightly shorter cockpit, wheelbase, DW linkage, and IBIS's overall culture/company vibe is very intriguing to me.

If my questions have been asked/answered already please point me to the existing thread, thanks. Otherwise I'd appreciate your comments.

Question#1: I run a med cage XO rear derailleur on my Nomad. Helps keep things a bit tighter, yes I am very aware not to cross the chain too far, and I've never had any issues with it. Any reason, with proper chain length, that a med cage rear derailleur would be a problem on an HD? I guess this is more of a chain growth question.

Question #2: Anybody running a set of HIVE 15G triple XC (now E13) cranks on his or her HD? If so, what front derailleur would you recommend? I love my 15G triple cranks and plan to swap them over.

Question #3: Any compatibility issues with the Maxel and the I9 AM wheels?

Cheers!

Porch

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
Porch:
1. I run a med xo rear d on my HD without issue (double ring crankset though....)

BTW.. your profile says you're a Boulderite. I'm about 10 miles from there. Hit me up if you need a demo. The HD is a great choice for pretty much everything in BoCo and beyond. I prefer my SS in Jeffco, but that's because their trails are flat and wide :D . Up high, both bikes excel but the HD is my go-to playbike for places like Peaceful Valley, Salida, CB, Fruita, etc.

·
603 Posts
Thanks Subliminal,

Yup, I live and work in Gunbarrel. Agreed, a 6 inch bike is a bit much for the valley floor. When the hall pass is in effect (kids with the wife) I try and get up off the peak to peak and wander around a bit. More trees, real dirt (rare around here) and WAY fewer people. Or better yet, like you mentioned, a weekend away with my riding / drinking buddies. Good fun.
Thanks for the offer for a demo, if needed I'll hit you up. XO meg cage noted, thanks.

Porch

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.