Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on this great site for some time now and love it. I need some advice from the experts. I'm currently piecing together a single speed. Someone is selling a 2005 Manitou black platinum with tpc lockout for $100. Is this a good deal? Are there any pitfalls with this particular fork? Is there some other used fork that I should be targeting in the $100-$175 range that would be a better choice.

Thanks for the help. I searched but don't know enough to filter through all the info.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
It's a decent fork. Fairly light (my 80mm is under 4 pounds) for a budget fork. Nashbar was clearing them out a couple of years ago for $229, which was a very good deal at the time (that's where I got mine). So if it's in good condition, 100 sounds reasonable. The problem with used forks is you're never sure of the condition of the seals and internals until you get it and put some time on it. Also make sure the steerer tube length is long enough for the frame and headset you are using.

For another option, RST is closing out their last year's models and has the F1RST on sale for $179 ($30 more if you want remote lockout). I just picked one up (I can't pass up a good deal on short travel forks) and so far it seems pretty decent. It is a bit heavier than the black (mine is 4.26 pounds with remote lockout), but otherwise is very similar to the black in features.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Pwarrior said:
I've been lurking on this great site for some time now and love it. I need some advice from the experts. I'm currently piecing together a single speed. Someone is selling a 2005 Manitou black platinum with tpc lockout for $100. Is this a good deal? Are there any pitfalls with this particular fork? Is there some other used fork that I should be targeting in the $100-$175 range that would be a better choice.

Thanks for the help. I searched but don't know enough to filter through all the info.
Could be a good deal. Watch out for the plastic piece. For seals replace them with Enduro seals as soon as you can.

I had a 2005 Black Super 120, which I loved. I modified the TPC to remove the lock-out but add real shim-stack dampening and the fork had an amazing ride quality. Stable while peddling but incredibly plush when things got rough. I currently ride a Talas RLC and actually much preferred the ride of that old Manitou.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I just recieved an offer for $50 and accepted. The pictures looked good so I figured it is worth the risk and will pick up tonight to see what I got.

Now all I have to do is learn how to replace the seals. Appreciate the input. Love this forum. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.