Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this tank a few months back after i bent the swing arm mount on my Ironhorse Maverick 2.0. there was only a few hundred dollars difference between the RM-7 and the repairs needed to straighten and reenforce the IHs swing arm pivot. so i put all the bits on an Ironhorse Quantum II frame to use as an extra bike.
Iron Pipe Bicycle accessory Metal Bicycle handlebar

i was told that the RM-7 weighing in in the mid to high 40lbs range was damn near indestructible which was a huge selling point for me cause im short, fat, and not very light on my feet. So far ive replaced the cassette, chain, derailleur and shifter, bled/replaced the brake fluid, and done a once over to make sure everything is lubed, tight, and doesn't have any play. so far i love it. im curious if anyone more familiar with these has any suggestions on what else i might need to replace/take a close look at being that it is over 10 years old.

specs:
year/model:2003 Rocky Mountain RM-7 FR
forks: Marzocchi Monster Triple
rear shock: Fox Vanilla
handlebars: Race Face respond 785mm
wheels: OEM Rocky Mountain
crank set: Race Face 36t
cassette: Shimano XT 11-36
shifter: Shimano Zee
rear derailleur: Shimano Zee
brakes: Hayes hydraulic (g1/g2?) 203mm rotors

on with the pics!

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire
Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Shoe Bicycle accessory
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Land vehicle Bicycle
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Rim Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Get in touch with a local machinist to make you some more dogbone links. I have a good friend in the industry who rode an RM-7 for many years until his business took off. He made his own dogbone links because they developed slop so fast. If I recall, he re-did his whole linkage setup 2-3 times a year. (He is an extremely aggressive rider though, who rides every day all summer). Rocky Mountain should have shipped those RM7s with a 6-pack of dogbone links, lol. The culprit was a very high leverage ratio, if I recall. Great-feeling suspension though! Usually they didn't end up with side-to-side slop, just vertical play (which got REALLY bad if you kept riding the bike).

Also, I would consider replacing that Monster T as well. I used to run a 2001 Monster, which was bad enough, weight-wise (otherwise a very nice fork for its time). Then, for some reason, in 2003, Marzocchi decided that the original 9.5 pound design of the Monster wasn't heavy enough, so they added 4 pounds to it and made it way taller. :)
There is no reason to run such a beast of a fork when you can get better performance and save approx. 7 pounds off the front end of your bike with basically any modern DH fork.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a mill and lathe at work so ill take a crack at making a new one when the time comes or mill out the ends and make bronze bushings. i checked out the links there is zero play in any of it. by "dog bone" are you referring to . the vertical piece from the swing arm to the two pieces that connect to the shock?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.