Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any experience mounting non ust tires on ust rims with stans solution as a sealer instead of using a tube? more specificaly, i would like to use non ust kenda kinetics 2.3 tires on mavic crossmax ust wheels with stans solution instead of a tube...i understand that non ust tires have thinner sidewalls and bead and was wondering how well they would seal on the bead and/or roll the bead off the rim....also if the thinner sidewalls and knobs would flex too much without a tube being there to help support it...i really would hate to go back to tubes and there aren't many larger volume tires in ust....any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
804 Posts
I recently picked up a set of CrossMax XL's and Non UST Specialized Resolution Pro and Enduro tires using Stan's sealant to go tubeless. The tech at my lbs where I bought the wheels is using non UST tires on his UST Mavic wheels with no problems. In the meantime, I'm using some IRC Serac UST tires on them, but will eventually swap them out w/ the non UST Spec. tires.

There are plenty of people using non UST tires with sealant on UST AND non UST wheels with no problems. Heck, that's what Stan's sealant is for!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I've been using xmax XL wheels with non UST Nevagal and Stan's for the last two years. Never had a flat, never had a single problem aside from replacing the liquid 2-3 times. For me non UST tires combined with Stan's liquid is really a positive experience. There are many others who will say the contrary but I suspect that most of the negative experiences come from initially inflating the tire which can be a bit difficult depending on the tire you choose. If you are patient and follow Stan's instruction correctly then I'm pretty sure you will be a happy camper!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I ride on Crossmax SLs. Standard tires with Stans and I think it's the cats Anus. No Cactus flats, no pinch flats no freaking flats of any kind(except when I went out with too little air and burped it out). I'll never go back to tubes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info everyone...ive been using ust tires and rims with stans and have had good results...for some reason i thought you needed to use the stans rim strip when using non ust tires...thanks again

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
success

well, i was able to mount up the non ust 2.3 kenda kinetics on the mavic crossmax ust wheels after a little playing around with getting the bead to seat...when they pop on they really pop and seem to go on really solid....the stans sealed the bead just fine on the front but the rear tire was seeping alittle at the bead and also the tire seemed to have some porous spots near the bead where it was leaking stans....it leaked down over night but i just pumped it up to around 50-60 lbs and took it for a ride...after about a half hour it sealed up just fine and i was able to reduce the pressure to normal...the trails were wet and slippery with the spring like weather and they seemed to hook up pretty good with about 30 psi....my only disappointment is that after i measured them they are the exact same width as my kenda 2.1 nevegals that i just took off....i realize differant tire manufacturers sizes vary but i thought sizes should be consistant with the same company...so nevegal 2.1 is the same size as a kinetic 2.35....who would have thought...

·
Registered
296 Posts
warton said:
well, i was able to mount up the non ust 2.3 kenda kinetics on the mavic crossmax ust wheels after a little playing around with getting the bead to seat...when they pop on they really pop and seem to go on really solid....the stans sealed the bead just fine on the front but the rear tire was seeping alittle at the bead and also the tire seemed to have some porous spots near the bead where it was leaking stans....it leaked down over night but i just pumped it up to around 50-60 lbs and took it for a ride...after about a half hour it sealed up just fine and i was able to reduce the pressure to normal...the trails were wet and slippery with the spring like weather and they seemed to hook up pretty good with about 30 psi....my only disappointment is that after i measured them they are the exact same width as my kenda 2.1 nevegals that i just took off....i realize differant tire manufacturers sizes vary but i thought sizes should be consistant with the same company...so nevegal 2.1 is the same size as a kinetic 2.35....who would have thought...
I had the same experience with the tire leaking a little sealant at first and then it was fine. If you're looking for a bigger tubeless tire, have a look at this:

http://specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=26520

That's the tire I'm running on the back but I'm thinking about switching it to the front because it's bigger than my 2.5 High Roller and I think it gets better traction. Tire sizes seem to be unique to the manufacturer but I think Specialized tires run big.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Yeah, the enduro 2.4 is really a 2.5-2.6 depending on what width rim you mount it on. Great semi-dh tire, but a bit of rolling resistance when pedaling it uphill.

Kenda and Maxxis run small on their tires. Specialized runs big. Each mfg has their own quirks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
warton said:
thanks for the info everyone...ive been using ust tires and rims with stans and have had good results...for some reason i thought you needed to use the stans rim strip when using non ust tires...thanks again
This is also the impresson that I have gotten after watching the Stan's "how to" videos. It appears as though the rim strip combined with the Mavic UST wheel is burp proof after seeing the "c-clamp" test, does it not? If everyone has had good results minus the rim strip then I would just as soon forego the strip, but what about the Stan's removable core valve stem? This too seems a good idea especailly after fighting to get a good bead seal on your tire/wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.