Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is it becoming impossible to find a good fork with a straight steer tube?? It seems like 6 months after fork manufacturers started making 650 forks they simultaneously dropped 1 1/8" straight. X-fusion was the exception for a while, but now I only rarely see a nontapered on ebay. It seems like the most reliable option now is used 26" forks. Does anyone have tips for finding a good race-weight XC fork that fits 650b?

·
Registered
31 Posts
You are right. I bought a Ritchey P-650b because it was basically what I always wanted, bought my last really good bike in 1996 and always wanted a Ritchey. The fact that this frame had a straight steerer nearly kept me from getting it. If the fork I got gives me any problems I am going to be forever mad at myself for not picking a frame with ability to run tapered steerer.

X-fusion is probably the most widely available, lighter weight option. To keep weight down, I think the best options are forks not widely available in the US. I picked up a Formula 33, which is 27.5 capable and it weighs 1545 grams with the axle (and uncut steerer). If you search for the "Ritchey P-650b build" thread and you will find a picture of my bike. Another option seems to be the Suntour Axon, somewhere I saw a picture of the Rtichey P-650b with this fork.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I tried to buy a RS 30 gold yesterday... Out of stock everywhere, with no delivery date :( I was told 2+ months.

I can't find a x-fusion dealer anywhere near me (also the velvet is silly expensive for what it is in Europe). I am a bit miffed that straight forks for 650b are seemingly so rare.

As I wanted RS for the availability of parts etc, I had to go for an XC30, the *only* fork I could find in stock. I already have one on my HT 29er so I know it will do the job as my 650b is a fun bike and not my main ride (Fuel Ex with RS Rev RCT 3).

Seems silly to me that the big players want to make this change so soon.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If I recall you can order a custom Loop from MRP/White Bros with a 1 1/8". You might also be able to do the same from XF. The nice thing from ordering from XF you can get the fork tunned for your style at purchase.

·
nothing relevant to say
1,370 Posts
You may still be able to get a 1.125 fork from MRP, as Ramjm mentioned. But I've been on a waiting list for an XF 1.125 upper matched with a Velvet 15mm lower. They were supposed to be calling me when it arrived, but i've been waiting for months. I've given up and went with a NOS White Bros Fluid 130, for a 20mm hub. I have a tapered Loop, in the Box, hanging out waiting for a bike.

·
Registered
362 Posts
fox could cwap out the crown/steerer for a custom order

You are right. I bought a Ritchey P-650b because it was basically what I always wanted, bought my last really good bike in 1996 and always wanted a Ritchey. The fact that this frame had a straight steerer nearly kept me from getting it. If the fork I got gives me any problems I am going to be forever mad at myself for not picking a frame with ability to run tapered steerer.

X-fusion is probably the most widely available, lighter weight option. To keep weight down, I think the best options are forks not widely available in the US. I picked up a Formula 33, which is 27.5 capable and it weighs 1545 grams with the axle (and uncut steerer). If you search for the "Ritchey P-650b build" thread and you will find a picture of my bike. Another option seems to be the Suntour Axon, somewhere I saw a picture of the Rtichey P-650b with this fork.
I looked into getting a Fox ctd fork with the uppers/crown/steerer swapped out for an RLC one to suit my Ritchey 650b, but in the end I stayed with the 26 RLC and the Ritchey carbon form option. Being in NZ getting Formula, x-fusion mrp etc is always a big headache as for parts :madman:
best of luck. My Ritchey carbon came in at 615g uncut. :thumbsup: ride a bit slower on the downs/jumps and enjoy the light weight on the climbs lol

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found a few choices of 26" Fox 32 on sale at PricePoint. They have some newer models, and actually they have some black 2011 models with 7" steerer lengths for only $400!! I'm guessing they were new bike take-offs. I picked up one of those, only downside is its pre kashima/CTD.

This is my first Fox, when I compare it to my Xfusion its easy to see the XF engineers came from Fox, actually surprising that no patent lawsuits are filed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts