Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2mo old trance x4 that has a new cassette chain and deralieur but the damn chain keeps popping in gears 1-5? I thought it could be the cassette but I put it on my other bike a talon 29er hard tail and it had no chain pop?? I'm stumped and pissed... Any suggestions ????

·
Registered
196 Posts
When you say "popping" do you mean that it is skipping between gears or is the chaining jumping over the teeth? Is this is the original drivetrain? Are your chainrings the same age? I would make sure that the derailleur is aligned and properly adjusted and the chain is the right length and routed through the derailleur correctly. Does this happen all the time or only when applying a lot of pressure? What is the back story, why a new chain and derailleur on a 2 month old bike?

Sorry for all the queestions but without seeing it I would need some more information to offer a specific diagnoses.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Another thing to check, esp if you've had a fall or laid the bike down recently, is a bent derailleur hanger. There's a park tool that measures (and is used to reset) the alignment. Your lbs will have one. Worth getting it checked out if everything else fails.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty much same as previuos thread. I got this bike about 2 months ago brand new. I def rode it a lot and while riding aggressively I only had to do basic tune-ups. Cut to last week where I took it to a different place to get a tune which ended up being a new chain new cassette and a slx derailleur upgrade. After that the bike rode great. 10 miles at my local trail later I was riding home and the chain jumped a series of times and kinda went back to normal, I looked down and noticed I was missing the top two gears? The cassette body shows no signs of strains and had no damage at all I haven't really crashed it or laid it down. I do hop it over a downed tree or off a medium sized drop off but again nothing bigger than 5 feet. The shop that hooked me up with a 250 dollar tne job checked the hangar and the bike shifts smooth. I'm thinking the chain might need to be shortened as I went from a shimano chain to a SRAM, but that could be horseshit...bike shop said that I had stretched the chain to the point of needing a new one. I ride pretty hard but I have had way lesser bikes and older bikes hold up to more

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.