Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a used Stumpjumper Expert Carbon Evo (26) several years ago on ebay. The bike didn't get used a ton before I had to stop riding to recover from an injury. I just started riding it a bunch this year and I have come to realize that I hate the fork. Especially compared to my Pushed Float RLC on my other bike.

I started reading more about the fork and options for upgrade. First off, it seems like this year of fork was a lemon from Fox. And second, I have realized that it looks like the fork was swapped out. Apparently (according to this page: Specialized Bicycle Components) the bike was specced with a Float. So maybe the guy who sold it to me put on the crappier fork and did something else with the original.

Anyway, thats on me for not knowing better. From what I have read, I can upgrade the internals of this fork to either convert it to a float or at least a newer Talas damper. However, when I went to go find the serial number on the bottom of the crown, I found that it is not "normal". It reads "SERVICE-XXXXXX" with the X's being a 6-digit number.

Has anyone seen this before? What does it mean? I tried to call Fox a few times last week, but there were obscene hold times. I'll try again tomorrow, but thought I would check here. I believe the fork is a 2013 Talas CTD. Fork in question is on the right of this picture: Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 8.47.18 PM.jpg

I would also appreciate any advice about what upgrade path is worth pursuing. I am thinking about converting it to Float and maybe having Push do it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
A serial number starting with "service" means this fork had it's CSU (crown-steerer unit, the upper/internal legs & crown assembly) replaced.

there were a bunch of CSU's causing creaking for fox, and these were replaced under warranty.

nothing to worry about.

Oren

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I was coming up with a bunch of nefarious scenarios about what it meant. Glad to hear that I don't have some sort of stolen prototype fork!

Now I just have to figure out how to make it less bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts