Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I specify non-racing because I know cyclocross racing is a completely different story than my shmo'ing around on trails.

Locally, long'ish fire road climbs; technical rock trails that I will probably dismount for. But I also don't want to spin about on the roads and I also realize that the CX geometry climbs a little better than a MTB.

I'm thinking 38X22 - but that sounds really short, IMO. My fitness is middle of the road - maybe a little better. Anybody riding something similar to a 38X19 or 18 and do you find yourself grinding too much on climbs?

Again, this will not be used for racing - just trail riding. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm 38x20 on my beater rigid 26er. It gets pretty spinny on roads. Bout to put on a 18 and see if I can take it on the longer climbs and tech stuff cause its more of a hop on and ride around the block and down to the bay kinda bike anyways.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I ride 36-17 fixed on my cyclocross bike. I do however find myself walking some climbs I should be able to ride. It however is the bike I ride to the trail head, and then the trail. Much shorter and I am spinning too much on streets. I could run something shorter if I were on the freewheel. 36-19 or 20 would work out. Its closer to what I ride on my mtb for trail use only.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
No dingle? Quick move at the beginning and end of the trailhead and you might enjoy the ride more.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thatdirtykid said:
I ride 36-17 fixed on my cyclocross bike. I do however find myself walking some climbs I should be able to ride. It however is the bike I ride to the trail head, and then the trail. Much shorter and I am spinning too much on streets. I could run something shorter if I were on the freewheel. 36-19 or 20 would work out. Its closer to what I ride on my mtb for trail use only.
On a 700c X 32 (170mm cranks), a 36X20 gearing measures out about 48.6 gear inches

I've settled on my 38X22 which measures out as 46.6 gear inches. I have a 19T White Industries freewheel I can spin on the other side if needed. My current 22T is White Industries, as well :D

Yes, it's short, but our local trails are climb'y and plus I'd like to be able to climb the bigger road hills. Thanks for your input.

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
just ripped up Desert Classic out here in Phoenix with 32-16. I'm not a avid SSr but after today's jaunt the squishy geared bike might be getting a little dusty:) I made all the climbs that I usually make with my geared and only walked the ones I can't make with that silly deraillur. It was ripping good!!!

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
latedropbob said:
just ripped up Desert Classic out here in Phoenix with 32-16. I'm not a avid SSr but after today's jaunt the squishy geared bike might be getting a little dusty:) I made all the climbs that I usually make with my geared and only walked the ones I can't make with that silly deraillur. It was ripping good!!!
Are you riding a cyclocross bike?

I have a 29'er singlespeed (32X22 - it get's steep where I ride and I hate walking) that is my preferred bike out of the 3 MTB's I have. I'm a pretty avid single-speeder (I also ride fixed, 48X16 on the road and can climb pretty well on that bike :D). In my past, I've gone 34X16 on 26" wheels.

Just for clarification, a cyclocross single-speed is a WHOLE different beast than a single-speed MTB. For one, you're dealing with a different wheel size, skinny 700C X 32 tires... and for two, you're dealing with an extremely different geometry set-up, let alone drop bars. I know for a fact that I will NOT be taking this bike on all the mountain bike trails I ride - especially the super duper technical stuff. It's a tough call because I still want to be fast on the road and hardpack flats, but I want to be able to rock flowing singletracks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts