Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that almost all modern cranksets take the outboard bearing bottom brackets. I am not a fan of the design, and I need a crankset for my Moots. I am looking for an older style crankset and bottom bracket--maybe an Isis, Octalink, or square taper design. The problem is, I can't seem to find many choices. I don't want to go the used route, so I'm looking for new old stock. So far, the only thing I've come up with is a closeout FSA carbon crankset with an Isis bb. I'm not sure I want to go with carbon. Didn't Race Face used to make Isis compatible cranksets? Does anyone know where I could find one? Or how about an XTR crankset (NOS)? How long has it been since they had a non-outboard bearing design?

·
Registered
791 Posts
You can get an LX or race face evolve for ~$139 including bearing cups and be at the same weight. You'd also get a 22/3?/44....unless you're really scared of x-type bb...I don't know why you would be though. Also, I don't know if ring wear is a problem on the older cranks but everyone complains about the newer xtr rings wearing prematurely

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
jckid said:
Hey, thanks for the tip. I've been looking everywhere for that crankset. I can't believe I didn't see it on Jenson. The only thing I don't like are the big chainrings, but I suppose I could change those out.
No prob.... well i guess you could change the spider to switch to smaller rings after you wear down the first set...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Second vote for Middleburns, paired either with just about any square or an SKF ISIS and it will be more reliable than any outboard bearing crank, IMO. Plus the Middleburns looks ace.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
RPM (a taiwanese company) makes square-taper and octalink cranksets which are rather nice for the money. Shimano from the Deore level and below are still non-external BBs. Ebay is FULL of dealers who are selling NOS raceface ISIS and square-taper cranksets (raceface musta had a clearout or something at some stage when they decided to stop supporting ISIS).

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Well, wait, what don't you like about the design? There's not a single thing that the outboard bearing cranks don't improve upon over the older designs - stiffness, ease of maintenance, no special tools, etc. Just curious...

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Couple of things

Fixed Q factor.
Chain line that is wider than previous designs.
I still don't know if the durability is better than square taper.
Need a specific crankset if you have an oddball frame, instead of just a different BB.
Still need to 'upgrade' bearings and seals - like Phil Wood or Enduros.
If one part dies... shell out for an entire crankset.

And yes, I already know, I'm a retrogrouch.

JmZ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.