Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Bontrager rims that are TLR but not OSB? And 32 hole? The only ones I've seen people building with are the Dusters. I can't tell from the bontrager site or the trek site if non-OSB rims are available to buy.
Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
steevo said:
Are there any Bontrager rims that are TLR but not OSB? And 32 hole? The only ones I've seen people building with are the Dusters. I can't tell from the bontrager site or the trek site if non-OSB rims are available to buy.
Thanks for any info.
AFAIK the 29" TLR rims are all OSB and only the Duster is 32 hole.

·
This place needs an enema
17,433 Posts
steevo said:
Thanks for any info.
I don't think so--I've only ever seen TLR and OSB together.

Both Dusters and Mustang Disc are available in 32h, TLR, and yes, OSB.

Why would you NOT want OSB?

MC

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mikesee said:
I don't think so--I've only ever seen TLR and OSB together.

Both Dusters and Mustang Disc are available in 32h, TLR, and yes, OSB.

MC
When using a single speed hub that has equal flange spacing. Most are still slightly off center though.

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mikesee said:
MC
Cuz I have a 240s SS centerlock hub, and I believe that makes an undished wheel ? At least it seems like it does looking at the one I have here (that you built a few years ago for me) And so it would seem like a bad idea to lace it to a rim designed to compensate for different length spokes. Lemme know if I got that wrong.

EDIT: yeah, what Shiggy said (i didn't see his post)

·
This place needs an enema
17,433 Posts
steevo said:
Cuz I have a 240s SS centerlock hub, and I believe that makes an undished wheel ? At least it seems like it does looking at the one I have here (that you built a few years ago for me) And so it would seem like a bad idea to lace it to a rim designed to compensate for different length spokes. Lemme know if I got that wrong.

EDIT: yeah, what Shiggy said (i didn't see his post)
I assumed the same thing until I actually measured tension on *both* sides of a finished wheel. Using your hub and any on-center drilled rim the disc side ends up with marginally higher tension. Build it with the OSB rim and you'll have a minor tension imbalance but still much better than a 9spd hub laced to an on-center rim.

In short, OSB + 240s SS = :thumbsup:

MC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.