Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming from San Diego to visit my parents and I'm looking at shuttling South Mountain. I'm probably going to have my Dad shuttle me up, any recommendations on which trails I should try since I've got limited time. About how long is each run down? Any information any of you can provide is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
1. Go to the top of the towers, take National to Javelina to 46th Street parking lot. It's a fun ride, 7 or so miles. you can bomb it in less than 2 hours or take your time and come in just over that.
2. From Buena Vista parking lot you can take Geronimo also. it's a lot shorter and ends up at the boy scout camp. It's a bit more technical than National and you can finish before the shuttle gets to the lot if you move.

Have fun!

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
If you go to Buena Vista Lookout, you can access National (to the east of the parking lot) or Geronimo (to the north). If you ride down national, it could get confusing as to where to pick you up so I would stay with Geronimo. It comes out at the Boyscout camp located at 20th St and Dobbins.

Also, If you go up to Dobbins lookout, you can ride down Holbert, which is very technical and I would not recommend riding it alone. You can seriously hurt and or kill yourself on that trail. If you do decide to do it, remember if you head down from Dobbins that you need to head north at the junction with Holbert, which is not marked.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Too bad you won't be there on Wednesday or Saturday. Latedropbob does all the shuttling for you.:thumbsup: Good fun that!

Seriously, even finding your way up to Buena Vista on that maze of roads looked confusing to me....let alone trying to find the pick-up points at the bottom. (Of course, I'm easily confused.)

·
EDR
10,421 Posts
Are you a dedicated shuttler? I'm not so my advice is based on that.

IMO for an out of towner going solo shuttling SoMo multiple times is not easy. The run from BV parking lot down Geronimo (fast fast fast) or Holbert (chunky chunky chunky) is only like 20 to 30 minutes. The d/h crowd does it much quicker. But the drive back up takes at least as long I'd guess. Good if you have it set up right. If not too much fussing around

The bomb down National to the Pima lot takes around 45 minutes, but it's not all d/h, climbing short steeps is a must, but it's a great ride...albeit not a dedicated d/h trail. Just loads of fun especially if someone shows you the optional lines. The problem with that is the logistics of dad finding the pick up point and another run would require more time to drive back up then it took you to come down. Still if you scope out the pima lot locale you shouldn't have any problem finding your ride. Heck by the time he gets there you shouldn't be far behind. If you want to add a more d/h then do the suggestion of finishing National then heading left, up Mormon a bit to the right hand trail that will take you up a short steep loose section where you can grab Javelina down to the 46th st lot. Doing either of these twice just takes too much time and driving for most.

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Are you a dedicated shuttler? I'm not so my advice is based on that.

IMO for an out of towner going solo shuttling SoMo multiple times is not easy. The run from BV parking lot down Geronimo (fast fast fast) or Holbert (chunky chunky chunky) is only like 20 to 30 minutes. The d/h crowd does it much quicker. But the drive back up takes at least as long I'd guess. Good if you have it set up right. If not too much fussing around

The bomb down National to the Pima lot takes around 45 minutes, but it's not all d/h, climbing short steeps is a must, but it's a great ride...albeit not a dedicated d/h trail. Just loads of fun especially if someone shows you the optional lines. The problem with that is the logistics of dad finding the pick up point and another run would require more time to drive back up then it took you to come down. Still if you scope out the pima lot locale you shouldn't have any problem finding your ride. Heck by the time he gets there you shouldn't be far behind. If you want to add a more d/h then do the suggestion of finishing National then heading left, up Mormon a bit to the right hand trail that will take you up a short steep loose section where you can grab Javelina down to the 46th st lot. Doing either of these twice just takes too much time and driving for most.
Good advice there!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.