Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would make sure it is a newer Reba with 46 mm offset and not the older (38mm I think) offset. I think the switch started with the 09 models, but maybe 08? Obviously you could run the older offset, but I don't think it would handle very well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i have been riding a Fox RLC 100mm non-G2 fork on my superfly for the past month. The reason i am not riding a G2 fork is because i got such a great deal on my RLC. so i figured i would try it out and see how the bike handled. if things sucked i would just buy a G2 fork.

ignorance is bliss. i had never ridden a G2 bike before so i couldnt honestly tell you how it handled for better or worse. i can tell you that i think the non-G2 fork is treating me great. the tracking is very good and i feel stable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nater said:
According to the team mechanic, many of the team members ride G2 with a standard 46mm offest Reba and love it.

It'll be a touch more stable handling. It'll ride like a bike.
I agree. Have a Paragon MY 2009 and I switch the Fox with a 46mm Reba and me too I feel the bike MORE stable. Where you put the front wheel it stay. G2 changed direction always and very fast at the minimum imput of handlebar, and is very difficult to keep a straight line.
I don' t like the G2 51mm fork offset.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It the reason for the G2 offset basically so there is no toe overlap on the smaller frames? If not, what are the benefits? I'm new to this so hopefully this is not a dumb question. Thanks

·
Registered
562 Posts
OJack said:
It the reason for the G2 offset basically so there is no toe overlap on the smaller frames? If not, what are the benefits? I'm new to this so hopefully this is not a dumb question. Thanks
I think the overall intent of the G2 geometry was to quicken the steering to a more 26er like feel. 29ers were often bagged on due to their slower steering/sluggishness. GF slackened the head tube angle and added more offset in the fork. The result was moving the front wheel further forward and creating quicker steering and a more nimble feel. This also had the advantage of providing more toe clearance for smaller frames, which was also probably a goal of the change.

As you can see, G2 geometry is not universally loved and some have felt that adding less offset has made the bike handle better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi every body!
My new frame arrived yesterday with a reba fork (2010) but in 100mm. What is the better thing to do with this geometry, shorten the fork to 80mm or let it like it is? How do the GF team ride?
Thanks for your answers;)
Ps: you must know that my ride is xc racing and i never ride a 29er.

·
wrench
443 Posts
adman_1 said:
Here is a pic of JHK's bike. It's a standard offset not the G2
Dam, that bike is dirty- someone should wash it...

Yes, we use only stock (46mm Reba's) on the team. Seems to be the prefered set-up as they all tried both 51 and 46.

Some like running 90mm on the hardtails/110mm on the 100's so, G1.5? :D

Matto

·
wrench
443 Posts
gambas said:
Hi every body!
My new frame arrived yesterday with a reba fork (2010) but in 100mm. What is the better thing to do with this geometry, shorten the fork to 80mm or let it like it is? How do the GF team ride?
100 might be a bit much for ya if you are strictly XC, but I have tried it on certain courses as has Sam and JHK (Mt Snow comes to mind). If the course has a lot of drops/rough descending, they are apt to run 90-100. JHK is usually at 80 most of the time where as Sam is sticking mainly to 90mm. I myself like 90mm for everything.

It is really a personal preference. See whatcha think.;)

Matto

·
Rice.
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mattomoto said:
100 might be a bit much for ya if you are strictly XC, but I have tried it on certain courses as has Sam and JHK (Mt Snow comes to mind). If the course has a lot of drops/rough descending, they are apt to run 90-100. JHK is usually at 80 most of the time where as Sam is sticking mainly to 90mm. I myself like 90mm for everything.

It is really a personal preference. See whatcha think.;)

Matto
Is it possible to get a 90mm spacer for the reba if you're not on the subaru/gary fisher team?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
gambas said:
Hi every body!
If the bike frame was designed for 100mm leave it at that. If you go to 80, it will steepen the head angle and change the handling.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.