Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having ridden my newly built Mach 6 and comparing to my old Mojo HD, I'm not blown away. The HD actually felt more plush.

Has anyone tried other shocks on their Mach 6? I'm going to try it out with a PUSH'd Monarch.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I have not mounted my Pushed Monarch Plus yet. Are you sure you have enough sag on the shock? I am running a little more than recommended and unfortunately like the Float X a lot. It kills me to say that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Myitch, are you running carbon wheels?
Not sure if the wheels because they are so stiff would have anything to do with the harshness.(Derby's) I do agree that it does not feel as plush as my HD. But it does pedal better especially out of the saddle. I'm still playing with my sag. Running just past the red line for sag. I weigh 154 in my birthday suit. Running around 142 in rear shock. 45 in Pike. Though I do like how the compression dampening is set up on the fox.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I put a new XFusion O2 RCX on my bike (not a pivot) a month back and it's just now getting broken in. I'd really recommend getting at least 10 good rides in on *any* shock before deciding you're unhappy with it.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I have to make a confession. I just discovered that I was running the shock in the middle "Trail" setting. Once I switched it to descend it's now super plush. I feel like an idiot. Silly me. Wow. What a great difference. I'm an old skool set and forget type of guy.

I still want to try the Monarch and hear others experiences on a different shock.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Don't forget to ALWAYS set your sag with the shock in Descend mode as well. Otherwise you'll be blowing thru travel if you switch over mid-ride. BTW: I've done complete DH runs with my lever flipped over and couldn't figure out why my hands & feet were taking such a beating. Then I noticed that little blue lever... :eek:
Ok. I have to make a confession. I just discovered that I was running the shock in the middle "Trail" setting. Once I switched it to descend it's now super plush. I feel like an idiot. Silly me. Wow. What a great difference. I'm an old skool set and forget type of guy.

I still want to try the Monarch and hear others experiences on a different shock.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, still no others with different shock on their Mach 6? I might just try it out to see if this Fox is really better than my old Monarch. Of course, the tuning is a bit different but we'll see how it feels on the trails.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
So, still no others with different shock on their Mach 6? I might just try it out to see if this Fox is really better than my old Monarch. Of course, the tuning is a bit different but we'll see how it feels on the trails.
If the CCDBA was a stock option I would have gone that route or a RS option, but now that Avalanche tunes the Float X I'm just going to ride it and unless I am blown away it will go to Avy for a rebuild at the end of the season.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Since this thread is the most useful query about the mach 6 posted lately, it deserves a bump.

By the way, which coil shocks are known to fit?

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can buy a cane creek double barrel CS shock that is specked specifically for the pivot Mach 6. I heard that Dave Weigle himself said that the cane creek coupled with the pike is the best suspension set up he has ever seen.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
If the CCDBA was a stock option I would have gone that route or a RS option, but now that Avalanche tunes the Float X I'm just going to ride it and unless I am blown away it will go to Avy for a rebuild at the end of the season.
Well I have to say I am not blown away by the Float X.

It's not awful, but it could use some ramp up in the last 25% of travel to resist bottoming out.

Aside from an Avy rebuild/custom tune are there any quick air can volume mods to improve the Float X in that way?

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
You should be able to reduce the volume of the air can to increase the ramp rate. Does anyone know how to remove the yellow bushings without damaging them? I want to mount my RS Monarch Plus.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the yellow bushings out by sliding a sharp blade between the flange on them and the eyelet, you then gently wiggle it and it should start to move out enough to get fingernails or another implement in there to get it the rest of the way. You just have to be careful/gentle with them.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
So assuming you were not happy with the stock Float X which of these options would you guys go for?

#1 - CCDA w/ CS = $700

#2 - Float X Avy'd = ~$500 [w/ shipping]

#3 - some other shock [which one?]

I'd lose the Float X for ~3-4 weeks shipping it to Avy [cross border Canada to USA]. The Cane Creek would be more $$, but no down time and I get a back up shock out of the deal.

·
Registered
407 Posts
On the first page in the “Mach6 Pics” thread, someone’s running a Vivid air on the frame. I’d be curious to hear how that rides.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Another option just buy a used older DHX air and get it Avy'd or get the Float X Avy'd depending on what Craig thinks. Then you'll have a spare. I got a used DHX air for my HD for $120 and it was $200 to get it Avy'd including shipping.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
Another option just buy a used older DHX air and get it Avy'd or get the Float X Avy'd depending on what Craig thinks. Then you'll have a spare. I got a used DHX air for my HD for $120 and it was $200 to get it Avy'd including shipping.
+1 - good suggestion

I had my DHX Air Avy'd for my Nomad a bit over a year ago. Cost was ~$250 + 1 way shipping = $270 [I was in US at time] and not including the cost of the shock [internals needed some work aside from SSD install]. Being in Canada is always a hit for shipping and taxes - it would be over $300 + cost of a used shock, but I'd have a spare.

I like the adjustability for HSC and LSC you get with the Avy Float X mod. I think that's worth the extra $$.

The CCDBA also offers a lot of tuning options.

I'll keep my eye out for a cheap DHX Air.

If I can get more ramp up in the Float X by reducing the air can volume that will get me through the summer at low cost. I can tear down the M6 at the end of the summer and ride the Nomad while I get the suspension re-worked.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Just get a coil and skip all the expensive air shock mods to make them work marginally well, as opposed to being an overall hassle and liability.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
If I can get more ramp up in the Float X by reducing the air can volume that will get me through the summer at low cost. I can tear down the M6 at the end of the summer and ride the Nomad while I get the suspension re-worked.
Have you seen these?

Tech Tuesday - How to Install a Fox Float Air-Volume Spacer - Pinkbike

They're like 25 bucks for a kit of three. You can even stack them. I haven't looked at the newest fox X shocks in person yet but I doubt the main chamber architecture is that different from previous air shocks.

You can spend hundreds of dollars on damping but it rarely mimics the free feeling stroke you maintain by just messing with the air spring itself. I haven't ridden a pivot incarnation of weagle's magic suspension but turners, old iron horses and ibii tend to need air spring tuning more than damping enhancements IMO. There's going to be some personal preference differences too in there (I definitely dislike some dw bikes, while absolutely loving one or two).

I've been looking at the M6 to maybe buy, and it looks like the leverage rate ramps a little at the top of the stroke but then flattens out for most of the travel. That pretty much reflects what you're describing. A vivid air, and most of the CC DB cans are actually going to accentuate this. So would a monarch with a large air can if you don't close it down with their rubber band spacers. A coil definitely will not address the problem unless it's something like a dhx with a boost valve you can crank down.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts