Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good food sources for pre-ride and mid-ride that AREN'T prepacked and $1.75 each? For races I'm on the gel program and happy with it, but I'd like to have something more like real food for training that doesn't cost a lot. I'm thinking raisins, dates, pretzels, crackers, might be good but wasn't sure if I was missing some secret weapon? Prunes anyone?

·
Registered
389 Posts
what popawheelie said and the foods that you mentioned.

the sams near my house carries cliffbars that come in a box of 24 for like 19 or 20 bucks. that is like 80 cents a bar which is much better that the lbs price.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah go bulk on the Cliff bars. Also think about Fig Newtons as a good alternative and my all time favorite for energy and caloric punch. Fruitcake! Use it just like a week or two after the holidays before sick of it and gets tossed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I love fresh bananas- but they usually aren't very easy to store or consume during a ride. Try dehydrated banana sliced pieces. Easy to put in a sealable plastic bag then in your jersey pocket or hydration pack if you're not racing.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yes (prices are based on buying in bulk and estimates

Fig Newtons, come in a little package that has 2, 100 cal cookies. Snickers Marathon Bar(Yum 220 cal). Gummy Worms, Jelly Beans, M and M's. Pretty much any candy is good for a mid-ride food, when quickly digested sugars are desired.

As far as Pre-ride food go the recommendations from sports nutritionists is 17 oz of fluid in the 2 hours leading up to a ride,35 grams or carbs, and 10 grams of protien. A Bagel a cup of water and a cuo of gatorade closely match those suggestions. I am sure there are lots of foods that are approx 75% carb and 25% protien with little or no fat that would be excellent preride choices and be much more nutrient dense then candy, cookies and goo's. So save them for during when you need to support blood sugar levels and have a small meal (300-600 cal) Before your ride.
The guidelines for post-exercise are similar to pre. a nutrient dense food with lots of carb and some protien is ideal. Like a few pieces of fruit and a cup or milk. (milk has been studied and found to be on of the best foods for promoting anabloic conditions within the muscle)

So $.33 cents for a bagel and .50 for 8 ounces or gatorade brings your pre-ride meal to $.83 cents and meets the guidelines coming from the reasearchers. $.50 for the 200 cal pack of fig newtons, .59 for a package or M and M's and like 1.00 for 32 oz of gatorade to drink during your ride gives you 700 cal's in your pockets with is enough for a 3 hour ride for a total of $2.09

Post ride .25 cents for a cup of milk and 1 dollar for an apple and a banana gets you a nutrient dense recovery meal for $1.25.

Hopefully that will get you started on a nutrient dense, economical, nutrition plan for your rides. Remember to train like you race and race like you train. Whatever you are eating while you train is what you want to use during the races.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pedalfaraway said:
Fig Newtons, come in a little package that has 2, 100 cal cookies. Snickers Marathon Bar(Yum 220 cal). Gummy Worms, Jelly Beans, M and M's. Pretty much any candy is good for a mid-ride food, when quickly digested sugars are desired.

As far as Pre-ride food go the recommendations from sports nutritionists is 17 oz of fluid in the 2 hours leading up to a ride,35 grams or carbs, and 10 grams of protien. A Bagel a cup of water and a cuo of gatorade closely match those suggestions. I am sure there are lots of foods that are approx 75% carb and 25% protien with little or no fat that would be excellent preride choices and be much more nutrient dense then candy, cookies and goo's. So save them for during when you need to support blood sugar levels and have a small meal (300-600 cal) Before your ride.
The guidelines for post-exercise are similar to pre. a nutrient dense food with lots of carb and some protien is ideal. Like a few pieces of fruit and a cup or milk. (milk has been studied and found to be on of the best foods for promoting anabloic conditions within the muscle)

So $.33 cents for a bagel and .50 for 8 ounces or gatorade brings your pre-ride meal to $.83 cents and meets the guidelines coming from the reasearchers. $.50 for the 200 cal pack of fig newtons, .59 for a package or M and M's and like 1.00 for 32 oz of gatorade to drink during your ride gives you 700 cal's in your pockets with is enough for a 3 hour ride for a total of $2.09

Post ride .25 cents for a cup of milk and 1 dollar for an apple and a banana gets you a nutrient dense recovery meal for $1.25.

Hopefully that will get you started on a nutrient dense, economical, nutrition plan for your rides. Remember to train like you race and race like you train. Whatever you are eating while you train is what you want to use during the races.
Wow, that's great, thanks. I should that I need this to be dairy-free, so that's another wrinkle I have in choosing energy drinks, bars, etc. There's also milk in fig newtons, so that's a kick in the pants as well. I've got the pre-race ritual pretty dialed to get me through an expert XC race, but I've been racing for 10 years now and I just can't do clif bars or anything like them for training anymore. During the race I'm good with Hammer's HEED and Hammer Gel as I can't really eat anything more solid than that. No matter what I tell myself I can't get more than a few bites into a bar and then I'm done.

I tried pop tarts for awhile but they're way too sugary and my bloodsugar gets all whacked out. They're great if I'm teetering on the edge of bonking, but short of that I always try to steer to more nutritious options without as much high fructose corn syrup.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you have a sweet tooth

you can try the store bought rice krispy treats. Almost no fat and various types of sugars, including maltose.

Some people think their icky, but I like em

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.