Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's old school, but until recently perceived as one of the finest frame designs in the industry. IMO it still is. 2006 Spot built up for a friend - total budget $2,250 vs. $2,495 for a new DW Spot frame. Deal or no deal? I report, you decide. As built - 29lbs
2006 5 Spot
DHX Air with DGC shim treatment
Elixir R brakes - 185 f - 160r
2009 Revelation Air U-turn 110-140mm
Cane Creek S3 headset
Easton XC2 wheels
Truvativ Stylo 3.3 Cranks
Stylo Team bars and stem 75mm
Easton post
X9 drivetrain and shifters
XT 11-34 cog
Conti Mt. King 2.4s
WTB saddle
ODI grips
Good stuff - practically vintage! The frame was mint and sold for $700.

Attachments

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:p :p :p LOL - if you hear of any 5.5s out there let me know! My set is on the Sultan and is not going anywhere, but it would be the finishing touch on this bike. I swear the frame looked like it just came out of the box - Craigslist is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Nice - I had the 07 rockers on my blue 06 Spot with a Pike and thought the 5.5 rockers helped the ride.

PS I have a new metal headtube badge I would let go for postage and packaging costs if your friend is interested.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Oh, yes

The key is having fun...and enjoying the ride. I'm convinced you can do that on a 2008 and 2009. Either or...and have money left over for beer.

Jaybo

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks like the donkey likes the pretty sparkle blue. It has caught his eye and from the look of it he is about to take it for a ride.
Great bargain. We all need to get our buddies riding with deals like this!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I still think they ride great. We have a blast every time we're out on our 05/06 RFX's. The introduction of the DW line did nothing to change that. Other newer tech products from other companies are introduced all the time and we stuck it out with ours, so it would be a waste to get rid of them (especially my gold/bronze Ano RFX). Maybe I'll demo some time in the future and maybe it will get me and I'll look for a frame around then, but ours ride fine and no reason to upgrade.

As far as above, good parts kit. I would have looked for a 20mm up front, but that's a small deal. Seatpost as well, but overall, a solid build. I run the same cranks and they have held up quite well. My gf has 2005 models with the same BB and they've lasted quite well. I only greased them recently and the bearings are still fine and she hammers, despite her light weight. We've both had lots of rock strikes and they held up.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
I should show this to my Christmas Bike neighbor. "See what you can get with a judiciously spent $2250?" I can just picture him fainting, getting up and exclaiming "man, I was hoping that cost $300. I'd go $300 for a bike like that!"

·
Registered
763 Posts
Deal. Nice scooter and looks to be the elusive charcoal blue metallic PC which is a great color to trailhead posing :thumbsup:

·
Registered
347 Posts
moosehead said:
is that BSG in the background?

i kid, i kid.....
Pretty funny. Nice build. I highly suggest getting a 20 mm thru for the front. When I went from the Fox Van, to the Pike is was night and day difference. Seems to be a lot of turners for sale these days, and some very solid deals. When turner decided to blow out the 08 frames it really dropped the resale value of older frames.
bsg

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Answers - the finish is Dark Blue Anno - that was one of the stock colors on the 2006 bikes. I too would have opted for a 20mm TA or even a 15mm Fox, but my friend wanted a QR and this fork was too good of a deal, so I went that direction. The fork, cranks, stem and bars were take offs - never ridden, but still "used". The 110-140mm travel should rock on this bike. The cranks look to be pretty nice. I'm usually a Shimano XT person, so this is the first major all SRAM drivetrain I've built up.

The funny part is that my buddy wanted me to build this for his 16 year old son. I built this guy a Burner with XR rockers a few years ago and he loves it, but I suggested that maybe the Burner ought to go to the kid and he gets an upgrade. Some of the higher end parts could come off the Burner, like all the Thomson bits, XTR cranks, etc. So far, he's saying he won't give up the Burner - XCGuy, I guess you're not alone out there with the Burner love. By the way, this is the rig with the Elixirs that are totally silent with no pad rub:p The donkeys love me, there are 3 of them all rescued from some ranch in Nevada - I feed them apples on every ride, so they think I'm god.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi,
Very nice bike :) It convinced me that I'm aiming right to build up my next rig on pre-DW Link Spot.
Cheers!
I.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts