Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Anyone have non-dusty places to ride now? Do you have to ride alone to avoid dust now?
Any west-facing slope in the Pacific Northwest will be pretty nice. Avoid the rain shadow (see the Eastern Sierra for and extreme example of a rain shadow) California is a desert and is quickly reverting to that state. I'll be moving in a few years into the Cascadian fern-drip and will lay down my bones among the roots and rocks.

Edit - in the PNW you WANT to be in the rain shadow for more riding options - The Sunshine Coast in BC for example.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Most of my 12 rides so far this month at Annadel have been at 5:40am. No dust in the eyes or lungs, but plenty to make the freshly lubed chain start to squeak after an hour.

The dust clouds I encountered during my past Saturday ride during the day confirmed another reason I like to ride when nobody else is around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Skeggs, trails in San Francisco come to mind (feel free to PM me about SF, I'm happy to suggest a route or guide if timing works). Skeggs is probably a better choice if you have to drive in terms of variety, parking availability, etc. Both are pretty cool weather-wise. Both are going to have _some_ dusty spots (where there's no tree cover), but for the most part they are fog-drippy and not super loose. Yard-for-yard both places are mostly hero dirt this time of year. You're definitely not going to be choking on the guy in front of you's dust cloud.

BTW -- there is plenty of mud in both places I mentioned if you look. Anyone saying there's no mud in Norcal right now isn't familiar with fog drip, which means you are missing out on some of our best trails :)

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,428 Posts
You gotta trust your bro's. 2 feet off their rear tire is risky, but no dust! You gotta both be on the same page, as far as " no sudden stops", or you will run over their fancy Carbon rims. As a house painter, I know we usually get a first rain around Halloween, then a few small systems between Halloween and Thanksgiving, then "Its On" in the Bay Area. Up in the high country you get some rain storms earlier though. 2 1/2 more months of dust!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
you gotta trust your bro's. 2 feet off their rear tire is risky, but no dust! You gotta both be on the same page, as far as " no sudden stops", or you will run over their fancy carbon rims. as a house painter, i know we usually get a first rain around halloween, then a few small systems between halloween and thanksgiving, then "its on" in the bay area. Up in the high country you get some rain storms earlier though. 2 1/2 more months of dust!
lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.