Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Are you folks aware of a decent wheelset that's available for under $200? I'm looking for something that's about on par with the sun rhyno-lite/LX 26" sets you see everywhere. I've checked my usual list; jenson, pricepoint, etc, but can't find anything that's not disc specific.
Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
How about getting your local bike shop to build you a set? CR-18 rims, 14/15 or 14/16 spokes, and non-disc XT hubs should go for under $200, I would think. If not, you could go with LX and/or go with 15 straight gauge on the front.

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
SamHall said:
Hey guys,
Are you folks aware of a decent wheelset that's available for under $200? I'm looking for something that's about on par with the sun rhyno-lite/LX 26" sets you see everywhere. I've checked my usual list; jenson, pricepoint, etc, but can't find anything that's not disc specific.
Check EBay. Saw something there a few days ago for ~$120.

MC

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
try searching for cyclocross or touring wheels also. I forget the mavic rim, A717? or something. You can find them on ebay laced to cheap deore hubs for a good deal all the time on.

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
ianick said:
Not to hijack the thread, but what is an average amount to pay to have wheels built?
Any reputable wheelbuilder is gonna charge ~$30/wheel for labor. Factor in parts and shipping and it's easy to see why machine built wheels will never go away.

MC

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys- I guess there really isn't a 29" version of the ubiquitous $150 26" wheelsets out there (unless I want to get a used ebay set). I guess nothing can be easy, huh? The frame is for a friend and for components we are using as much as we can from a pile of parts he has in his garage- hence the need for a non-disc wheeleset. I do have a couple of pairs on old lx hubs laying around, so we'll probably go the handbuilt route. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
SamHall said:
Hey guys,
There's a guy on ebay, M2phatwheels or something like that, that sell alot of 700c wheels (some are 29er as opposed to road, but they are always listed in the road section for some reason) The prices are very reasonable. I bought mine from him for around $175 shipped. They're 32 hole Rhyno Lites with straight 14 gauge DT spokes, brass nips and XT disc hubs, but he sells non-disc also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.