Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
back in the saddle again
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange title? Perhaps so.

I'm looking for a good shoe to ride with. I am not ready to invest in 'real' MTB shoes + pedals yet. Right now my bike has the standard flat pedals that came stock and I'm rockin' my 15 year old Doc Marten boots. I like the stiffness of the sole, but having all leather up top gets real hot.

Do any of you have some good suggestions for shoes for me to look into to 'tide me over' for the time being?

Thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
chainlove has those fox shoes that pop up from time to time. I know a few people that just rock vans or old skate shoes if you want a beefier sole.

·
back in the saddle again
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. They didn't have anything in stock in my size that I liked. I'll keep them in the back of my head though.

·
Trail Ninja
6,196 Posts
I just rode in my work boots (military), but I did use performance socks. The socks made all the difference, I think. I never really got into clipless until I started riding so hard that my feet were bouncing and being jarred off the pedals from all the rocks and stuff. Now that I'm riding smooth stuff again (moved from smooth FL, to rough NY, to smooth SoCal), I'm back to platform pedals and Five Ten mtb shoes (avoid their skate shoes like the b4sic).

·
back in the saddle again
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the website for these 5-10s that keep getting mentioned?

Never considered military boots before. I am not active duty but I do have a pair of combat boots.

·
Trail Ninja
6,196 Posts
Yar, I rode in my boots and uniform. I simply rode where the "army rangers" trained near Eglin AFB. I didn't get serious into mtn biking until about 1 year ago in NY, since there were no mtns or even hills in FL, just dirt trails.

I dunno how people can ride with skate shoes. Their soles are too thin and flexible and aren't really that grippy. Barely any better riding without shoes on--flip flops provide a better platform (until they get wet, I tested).

·
Old Man
100 Posts
I wear Merrell Stretch Chameleons that are pretty comfortable as well.

·
Derptastic
240 Posts
I'm just getting back into the sport, so I haven't sprung for 510s yet, but I've been using an old pair of DVS skate shoes and they've been fine.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Aaron D said:
lol I wear those most days as my regular shoes. all the riding they see is test rides while im working on bikes. can't say how they work on the trail.
These used to be my daily shoes until they developed a squeak in the right shoe. I just switched back to platforms and needed a good shoe to do so. They don't squeak while riding, thankfully.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I dont know what kind of pedals you guys were using but combat boots gripping better than skate shoes??!! I have used skate shoes almost exclusively since I started mountainbiking 15 years ago- DC's, etnies, adios, globe, etc all work excellent with pinned platform pedals such as azonic A frames or sun ringle zulus. Watch out with 510's, ordered a pair, they are sized at least a size or 2 too big. I wear 12's in DC and gave away my size 11 510's cause they were just too big, that was after an exchange too.

·
Old Man
100 Posts
There are a wide variety of combat boots available these days, some are almost like wearing sneakers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts