Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If their 29"er is too tall for you I imagine this combo would be as well. The increase in standover will probably bring the TT height back into the realm of their 29"er.

Bummer....that deal at Jenson is pretty nice.

The Soma Juice is likely your only option in terms of production frames with low standover.

B

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Possible combination to build a 29er? I'm asking because the smallest Inbred 29er offering is bit too tall for me. So given the 2.7 tire room in the rear and the fact that the frameset is disc brakes only, I was wondering if this bit of mutation could work.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
But would it work?

What if I was cheap and wanted to get the 26" wheel frame and turn it into a 29er? I know the standover will increase, but that is not a problem for me. I guess the question is if a 29" wheel and tire will fit the frame with the dropouts all the way back. Does anyone know? It would be cool to have one frame and 2 different wheelsets, one 26" with big fat tires for very technical rides, and one 29" for faster rides.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Assuming standover is not an issue, would 29er wheels fit in the rear and fork? If so, any idea what sort of tires might be an option?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
If you're going to consider narrower tirs, you might as well get a CX frame.
And what about custom dropouts for a 26" frame? Axle further back and up, relative to BB. With a 440mm (26") fork, you'd be lineup up again.
I've been thinking about dual dropout designs, but each time I come to the conclusion one doesn't need the 26" ones :)

Tempting idea with those Inbreds being dumbed at Jenson? Get on the On-One forum and see if someone will take a 29" rear wheel to a their brand new 26"er...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Assuming standover is not an issue, would 29er wheels fit in the rear and fork? If so, any idea what sort of tires might be an option?
I doubt a 29" tire will fit the rear. The radius of any of the 29x2.xx tires is at least 1" greater than a 26x2.7 tire.
Fit in a 26" rigid fork is not a problem.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
shiggy said:
I doubt a 29" tire will fit the rear. The radius of any of the 29x2.xx tires is at least 1" greater than a 26x2.7 tire.
Fit in a 26" rigid fork is not a problem.
How much travel do the sliding dropouts have on the Inbreds? If they move about 1 inch, and the radius difference is about 1 inch, than it should work with the dropouts all the way back, no? This is all hypothetical, of course, as I don't know how much the dropouts can move, and if Shiggy's numbers are correct (although they probably are!).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
bikeny said:
How much travel do the sliding dropouts have on the Inbreds? If they move about 1 inch, and the radius difference is about 1 inch, than it should work with the dropouts all the way back, no? This is all hypothetical, of course, as I don't know how much the dropouts can move, and if Shiggy's numbers are correct (although they probably are!).
Even if the sliders will move back far enough for chainstay clearance there may still not be room in the seatstays.

·
Registered
515 Posts
bikeny said:
My experiences trying to squeeze tires into little wheel frames.

My Spicer EBB 26er would easily fit the 2.6 Gazzi...I bet the 3.0 would have fit in there too, but there was no way a 29x2.1 was going to fit in there.

I could barely fit a 29x2.1 in the rear of my Bianchi....with the wheel at the very back, so there's a chance the On-One could work.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
We all know that the 29x2.1 tire will fit in a 1x1. You've already got one of those don't you? Build up some wheels and play swap-a-roo with the Surly. Deal done!

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Evidence (x-post)

Mine arrived today. No bonus stem, no discernable dings, no seatpost clamp - and for some reason, I thought this came with a fork as well but it doesn't (I doubled-checked), so no fork. But it does come with v-brake mounts, so bonus there for anyone worried about having to commit to disc brakes.

For those who were interested in trying to turn this into a 29er, the short answer is "no go". I took some pictures to help illustrate this. I've got a Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45c tire mounted but uninflated mounted my 'cross wheels, which were in turn mounted into the sliding dropouts where were pushed into the farther position rearward. As you can see, there's virtually zero clearance in the seatstay yoke. Tons of room in the chainstay area, though. So, no 29er action from this 26"-wheeled frame, folks.

Glad to take one for the team...

Attachments

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
So close, mate. Just one inch or so, and it might've made all the difference in the world. By the way, what are those holes on the each side of the wishbone yoke for?

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
By the way, what are those holes on the each side of the wishbone yoke for?
I had a Giant with wishbone seatstays, and I used the holes for a rack. On your Inbred though, it doesn't look like there are any rack mounts at the dropouts. Maybe you could use clamps on your seatstays if you really wanted a rack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts