Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of replacing my 2005 36 Talas with a Totem. Riding the 36 at anything less than 130mm travel just doesn't feel right so my thoughts are that I'd ride the Totem in the 135mm mode most of the time then kick it to the 180mm for the rough singletrack and DH's. It would also give me a better climbing mode with the floodgate switch.

Any thoughts or experience with this combo? Am I on crack? Would a Lyrik be more suitable?

·
Cheesiest
1,613 Posts
Crack sounds like the right verdict to me:thumbsup:

Personally, I think that would be about the second best setup possible. You can actually use the travel for both settings (unlike most forks with a lockdown). I think that the Totem U-turn would be the best, so that you can use any travel in between. Plus, I like coil forks.

Post Pics, if you do it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's why I like the 2-Step, you can use the travel in both positions.

As far as I know they don't make a Totem U-Turn so I'm out of luck there. I like coils also.
The solo air and coil would ride too high for most of my riding. I like the Lyrik also so maybe I'll look into that. They make a Lyrik U-Turn. We'll see if Rock Shox has made the x-heavy coils available, they're usually terrible about getting them out in the market.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
52 Posts
intheways said:
I think that the Totem U-turn would be the best, so that you can use any travel in between.
Unfortunately they don't make a Totem U-turn:madman: Which is a shame, I know I'd buy one in a second :)

·
one more time
539 Posts
Im interested to hear any feedback on this combination also... I havent noticed any photos or threads showing

I recently replaced my 05 36 talasRC2 with an 07 36 vanRC2 - I really dont miss the travel adjust as the nomad seems to climb just fine with 160mm up front. I love the van - nice fork.

I went and had a look at the totem 2 step the other day - only problem for me is that I feel 135mm is not enough travel for general riding on the nomad (pedal smack issues right TNC) and 180mm is probably a bit much unless youre heading downhill...

Am I right in saying it only has those two travel settings?

If it had a travel setting at around 160mm and adjustable to the full 180mmI reckon it would be better suited for the nomad.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Hey Benz, it is surprising how well the Nomad climbs with a tall front fork and no travel adjust...a very pleasant surprise. I gotta admit my pedal smack issue improved dramatically by getting rid of the DHXA. The PUSH'd Fox RC and the Manitou Evolver-6 allow the bike to ride higher in its rear travel which helped tremendously. More people focus on the front fork on the Nomad, but the rear shock is probably just as important on this bike.

·
one more time
539 Posts
Im interested in this manitou evolver setup - I rang the manitou distributor here in singapore and he didnt seem to even know the evolver shock existed!!

Anyway - I might just pick it up online and get it shipped to Singapore - which model and size do I need to go for?

I have a spare set of shock bushings from santa cruz - will it use the same bushings as the fox DHX models?

Seems like you are pretty happy with that shock right? Any feedback would be good...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my Totem on my Nomad!

Well boys and girls, I've had time to get a few rides on my Totem 2-Step/Nomad setup. The first 3 rides were nice, the fork was obviously still breaking in but fell oh-so-smooth. Suprisingly enough the 180mm doesn't feel all that bad on any flat trail and simply rocks going down. The 135mm is a bit to low for normal riding but works really well on the way up. If I had my choice I'd go with a 150/180mm 2-Step but that won't happen I'm sure.

On my last ride something weird happened to the fork. It would feel fine going through bumps and kick back nicely but as I rode it would sag through it's travel. I brought it home and noticed that if I push down on the fork pretty lightly I could run it through 180mm easily and I had 125psi in the thing! Not sure what happened other than the valve between the postitive and negative air chamber malfunctioning but I let the air out and re-aired it at home and it seems fine. We'll see on my next ride.

The pictures show the diff between the 180mm & 135mm travel settings.

benzology said:
Im interested to hear any feedback on this combination also... I havent noticed any photos or threads showing

I recently replaced my 05 36 talasRC2 with an 07 36 vanRC2 - I really dont miss the travel adjust as the nomad seems to climb just fine with 160mm up front. I love the van - nice fork.

I went and had a look at the totem 2 step the other day - only problem for me is that I feel 135mm is not enough travel for general riding on the nomad (pedal smack issues right TNC) and 180mm is probably a bit much unless youre heading downhill...

Am I right in saying it only has those two travel settings?

If it had a travel setting at around 160mm and adjustable to the full 180mmI reckon it would be better suited for the nomad.

Attachments

·
one more time
539 Posts
seriously nice rig there bog.

keep us updated with the performance....

do you know if they are planning the totem in a u-turn model? im with you - a 150-180mm model would be near perfect.

·
Cheesiest
1,613 Posts
Definitely a nice setup!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rode the bike again a few times and never had a problem again. Probably just a first time glitch in the air valve.
The fork is amazing, even when it isn't broken in it is super plush and man is it stiff! Tracks as good as a double crown fork if you ask me - and I've personally owned Boxxers and 888s. The adjustments really work and the locked out 135mm mode kicks ass for climbing. Just have to decide whether I want to roll with this or my Lyrik.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.