Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
a.k.a Slacker
535 Posts
Well never having ridden the Turner RFX, I can't say characteristically why the Nomad would be better.

I can however say, in the past 6 months of owning my Nomad, I have not been dissapointed, everytime I hope on her and ride, it brings a smile to my face. Can keep up on the climbs with my XC buddies, and can fly down as fast as my freeriders.

The other thing is, that the warranty department of SC is top notch. I don't know anything about how Turner handles theirs, but SC has always come through for me and my friends. You can ride with the greatest of confidence.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
never rode a Nomad but have learned that I am VERY impressed with VPP (have an Intense now). Owned an RFX and it was nice and my money would be on the RFX being stiffer. Now a newer DW Link RFX would be the bomb I am convinced seeing what DW linkage has done for one of my riding buddies (ie, he is WAY faster on a similar bike to the other he has which is not DW)...not sure which RFX you are wanting to compare against, especially important as the new RFX will be a different beast

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
lou_b_83 said:
I am in the market for a new bike. I am stuck between the Nomad and the RFX. Both are great bikes. Looking for any info that could sway me.
I've owned/own both: '07 Nomad and an '08 RFX currently.
Both bikes have pros and cons that are drastically different than each other. Particularly when it comes to the suspension.

My take on both bikes:

I think the majority of people would lean more towards liking the feel of the RFX over the VPP design. Personally, I like platform suspension designs and after a season on both bikes, I would pick the Nomad for the long haul-simply for feel of the suspension design.
The VPP can be a bit of a bear to set up, but once set up I really like the feel of that design. If you follow Santa Cruz's published guidelines as a start, you'll have a much easier/quicker time getting the feel right for you.

Besides, some creaking in the lower pivot on the Nomad, which is solved simply by adding a thin layer of anti-seize every couple of months, I never had any problems with either bike. Overall quality-wise, both were excellent. However, I would take a notch away from Santa Cruz for recently pushing production of the Nomad out to Taiwan. I would give Turner the nod for finish quality and choice of frame colors (if that's important to you).

Geometry-wise, I would give the Nomad the nod as on my 6+ inch travel bikes I want a slacker HA, 67 degrees or a bit slacker being the desired goal. The RFX was a bit quicker handling in the tight stuff though with the 68 degree HA. Again, this is all personal preference.
Both bikes bottom brackets fall in the 14+ inch range and I wish they were a bit lower. I just built up an '09 Giant Reign X with a 13.5inch BB on an XL size frame and really love the low BB for cornering. However, hitting pedals frequently is the drawback.

Bottom line: I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. Both bikes feel and ride quite a bit differently. If you want an easy to set up/maintain, plush frame I would buy an RFX. If you want something that pedals/climbs a bit more efficiently regardless of the shock and are willing to spend some time with a shock pump, I would lean towards the Nomad.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
Loll said:
You guys should really take a look at some of the comments made by the turner board about SC under the same thread heading...

Interesting some of the wording that they use.
Seems there's a lot of mention about flex in the rear of the Nomad. I can't say I ever noticed any flex on either bike.

As far as customer service goes, I never had to warranty anything from either company. Seems there's some ill will towards Santa Cruz's customer service. Scott at SC always seemed to answer my questions via email within a day, so no complaints there. Turner's the same way, but you get the added bonus of the owner of the company participating on this website to answer questions/concerns.

With all the color choices SC offers, I did run into a problem when it came to choosing a color I wanted at the outset. My guess is that you'll probably have better luck getting your frame returned quicker and in the correct color from Turner than Santa Cruz due to not keeping inventory up to date.

·
a.k.a Slacker
535 Posts
Loll said:
You guys should really take a look at some of the comments made by the turner board about SC under the same thread heading...

I did see those earlier, but it's not worth it to bash another's product without actually having tried it. I think for those of us who have had to deal with SC's Customer service, I can say it's great. From Scott, Willie, & Danny, all threes guys that I have had to talk to about stuff, they've been super responsive.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Loll said:

Well, you have to take it with a grain of salt. There are actually two threads (in one) going on there: On thread that actually addresses the original question, and another thread of "hey, you should ride some other bike blah blah blah."

Of the people that have ridden the Nomad, the responses are very fair. That goes for the Turner thread and the thread here.

I'll not post up how cool my RFX is since I have not had enough saddle time on the Nomad. Both are great bikes, hard to go wrong with either.

FoShizzle said:
The 2008 RFX was girlied down as compared to my 2006 . . .
That opinion was common when the bike was in the design stage. Funny how no one brings it up now . . .

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
Loll said:

i agree...their hurtful words and pontification about what they do not know for certain are uncalled for. I would also always base my opinion on e-responses obtained from opposing forums for the same question. I would simply take the hurtful homer responses out of the math and whichever forum provided the most responses should dictate which bike you get.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Well, for the most part the comments on that thread with the same OP are decently objective. As is common on the Turner forum, there are a few rather...ummm...shall we say...enthusiastic Kool-Aid drinkers. You see some of that mentality on every brand forum, but Turner seems to have a slightly higher number of uberloyalists on the rolls...LOL! I guess they like their bikes. Hopefully it won't signal the end of western civilization as we know it.

·
a.k.a Slacker
535 Posts
anyways, I'm still happy with Nomad, after wasting about 5 minutes re-reading with what was not said about the two bikes over on the Turner thread.

I've just got to reiterate that of all the SC owners that I've met, most are more than willing to critique their own bikes and will not say that their bike is best (only because they own one), but rather you'll get a variety of answers of why they like or dislike their bikes.

Me, I have a Nomad, a Blur, (& and a Roadster), the company has taken care of me well that I've owned 4 SC's (my first SC was a Heckler). Each one's not perfect, but I can always ride with the confidence that if something goes wrong, the company will take care of me (if not fellow riders).

Just imagine yourself, after you've bought a Turner or an Santa Cruz, which board do you think is more likely to answer your question directly? haha - oh well, kinda stupid, but it's Christmas Eve, and I'm starting early.

Merry Christmas

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
To be fair, I think both boards will answer your questions about your specific bike. The Nomad vs RFX thread is very tangential but I think that's more due to the fact that most have not ridden both bikes. If you ask a tech question about a Turner on the Turner board you're likely to get some very good answers from some folks who know a lot about bikes. You might have to have thick skin for a while but, hey, it's the internet.

Both companies have strong followings, good user communities to get feedback from, and reputations for customer service. As good as SCB's rep is in this area few can touch the CS at Turner. David Turner can also be found answering questions on the Turner board.

Bottom line, both are great companies that make fine steeds. Try and demo them and pick the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
OhSchitt said:
I've just got to reiterate that of all the SC owners that I've met, most are more than willing to critique their own bikes and will not say that their bike is best (only because they own one), but rather you'll get a variety of answers of why they like or dislike their bikes.
Apperantly you haven't met Mark Weir.:rolleyes:

·
"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
233 Posts
:eek:
TNC said:
Obama rides a Turner?:lol:
That's his problem, he doesn't ride.

At least Bush rides. But he loses points for riding an american bike company bike that makes most of their bikes out of the country. (Although his personal ride is made in the USA)

Oh wait, doesn't Santa Cruz do that too :eek:

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
scruffylooking said:
Yeah, I had the 2005, which I think was at the height of it's burliness? That thing was a tank.
I own a 2005 and it's not nearly as much of a tank as the 2002. ;~) Talk about burliness...

IMHO, the Nomad has very little flex. If I was riding steeper terrain I'd probably go for the Nomad because it's slacker. There are a lot of RFXs and Nomads in the group of people I ride with. What's kind of interesting is that some feel the Nomad climbs really well, but at least a couple of them constantly complain about how it climbs. Certainly on smooth ground the Nomad should climb better than the RFX.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.