Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bomber
982 Posts
I have made every climb and then some with my Nomad. More climbs than on my older bike and various demo bikes.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
GQOSE said:
which is the better climber? id assume to nomad with vpp but the heckler has steeper angles and has good platform. anybody?
With equal builds they both are great "sit n spin" climbers. Get up and mash and the Nomad goes. The Heckler likes to sink in its travel and produce a lot of bob At least mine did even with a lot of platform. The bigest difference is in tech climbs, the nomad is a tank, it just crawls up anything and I dont know if its the longer chain stays or what, but I makes climbs that I cant on my Blt, Heckler or hardtail. A lot slower than my blt, and my blt will kill the nomad in sprints, but unstopable in the climbing department. If you run the Heckler in a lighter Xc ish build it will climb like superlight but thats not apples to apples.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
The Heckler probably climbs better than any other high forward, simple, single pivot with over 5" of travel when it's set up properly. That said, the Nomad is still a better climber. Of course that's assuming both bikes are in the same weight ballpark.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have the 07 Heckler, I test rode the Heckler and the Nomad back to back, to me the Heckler felt quicker climbing but the Nomad felt like it would climb any thing it just seemed to make its way up anything in front of me with no fuss like a tank, where the Heckler felt more active, more clambering with slightly less grip, in the end I went heckler because I felt the Nomad was too good for me and would be some thing to upgrade to when I reached that level.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I have both and the edge is with the Nomad, although my Nomad's a heavier build, so the Heckler's been fine on the longer medium grade climbs, the Nomad shines on techier steeper stuff.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I own a Heckler and my house mate owns a Nomad so we get to ride each others bikes all the time, it's quite hard to compare the two accurately because the Nomad is a medium frame with a long stem and my Heckler is a small frame with a really short stem. The Nomad definitely climbs better, although the Heckler is no slouch in that department either, even with a super short stem, it still climbs better than most all mountain rigs! I think the VVP suspension of the Nomad helps a lot climbing but saying that I still wouldn't give up my Heckler, It's just such a fun bike and the pro's definitely outweigh the cons of the single pivot design.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a VPfree and a Heckler and would rather climb on the Free. The VP linkage is great, especially climbing smooth stuff. When things get hairy in the small ring there is a fair amount of feedback as the chain fights rear compression but by contrast the Heckler likes to sink in its travel and stay there. The Free is a much more solid feeling ascender.

Some platform does seem to help the Heckler but is a detriment to the Free. Contrary to some opinion, single pivot + platform is NOT the same thing as a virtual pivot. A platform valve is basically on/off. Once you've broken it, the assistance is gone. With VPP, the degree of "platform" you get is directly related to how hard you are pedaling, instantaneously. Light on the pedals, light assistance. Downhill - no assistance, pure squish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't help with the question about the Nomad, but I recently bought a new Heckler and was shocked at how well it climbs. It hooks up really well and handles technical climbs like a champ. At my experience level, which is modest, the Heckler is more bike than my skills can take advantage of. So if it's a cost thing, the Heckler can be had cheaper and climbs great for average riders, making the Nomad a bit of a luxury item.

·
Registered
353 Posts
remsen said:
I can't help with the question about the Nomad, but I recently bought a new Heckler and was shocked at how well it climbs. It hooks up really well and handles technical climbs like a champ. At my experience level, which is modest, the Heckler is more bike than my skills can take advantage of. So if it's a cost thing, the Heckler can be had cheaper and climbs great for average riders, making the Nomad a bit of a luxury item.
I have to agree with this :thumbsup:

·
nopavement
59 Posts
The VPP definitely has that instant forward motion when the pedals are pushed. That being said, if you are climbing trails with many baby heads or square edged bumps, i prefer climbing with the Heckler or Bullit or 575. It feels like it pushes you up and over the bumps where the Nomad feels like it gets stopped by the rocks.

I have both a Nomad and a Bullit.

It depends on what your trails are like.
If they are really really rocky climbs i like a single pivot, if they are not so rocky then go with either.

i am sure this will get many neg. comments.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
birddog, I don't think you'd get "negative" comments but maybe a difference of experience from some. I have both bikes too. That long, high, forward pivot swingarm of the Bullit makes for some often decent rear wheel "hangup" when climbing in rocky, technical terrain. The Bullit with the same travel as the Nomad has more chain growth and therefore more noticeable issues in that kind of climbing. IMO, and allegedly from the design issues present, this is the Nomad's strong suit. The bikes are more closely matched on decents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.