Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there been a head to head comparison of the Nomad to intense's new 6.6??? I'm not expecting the bikes to perform that different, but an objective comparison would still to appreciated..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,663 Posts
Check the Turner and Intense forum, there are a few comments here and there. BikeBoutique is supposed to do a little match but they don't say when.

According to what I've read, you should expect the contrary. Those bikes will ride relatively different and many have reported that the 6.6 geometry is more on the XC side of the fence and the Nomad on the FR side, however both being long travel all mountain bikes. I personally like the geometry of the Nomad quite a bit more. There was little article in MBA magazine talking about geometry and I kind of liked there explanation of longer chainstays like the Nomad.

With all the people ordering 6.6 and Nomad bikes, I'm sure we will have more and more comments in the new few weeks/months.

Mr. Jon H said:
Has there been a head to head comparison of the Nomad to intense's new 6.6??? I'm not expecting the bikes to perform that different, but an objective comparison would still to appreciated..........
 

·
Bike Hoor
Joined
·
675 Posts
We actually have done a few comparisons now that we have had both in stock and ridden them both a little bit. The feel is a bit different.. and without having real trail time on the bikes as of yet (damn cold and snow), the initial impression is that both bikes land in that small slice between all mountain and freeride with the Nomad leaning more to the FR side and the 6.6 leaning more to the AM side... and we are really splitting hairs there. Then again, that is really just inital feel riding around parking lots and in the wooded area around the shop.

Seriously, although this is a phrase coined too often, it really rings true in this case.. you can NOT go wrong with either. My son will be riding a Nomad this year, and one of our good customers has a 6.6 on the way.... both in my size.. and I intend to get plenty of good back to back time on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Another point to look at is the difference between the Uzzi VPX and the VP Free. The Free is one of the favorite FR bikes on the market, with the VPX hanging in there real close. Now the VPX feels much more nimble than the bigger feeling Free. Like in real tight singletrack, the VPX can turn like a trailbike yet it feels very stable at speed, it feels more playfull to me. The Free, though it can handle the woods, it does feel a little sluggish, and just mows over anything without thinking about it. I think that both companies have the same designs built into their all mountain bikes too. The Nomad will feel alittle more FR capable in that it feels longer and slacker and Intense like the VPX, made the 6.6 with a little more user or trail friendly geometry. On the plus side for the 6.6, a longer fork can be added to slow things down like a Marzocchi 66, or a DC fork, this will slack out the front end and make it more like the Nomad or even the VPX. To do the same on the Nomad you will have to use a fork with less travel, like a Pike or a 130mm Fox, which kinda makes the 6.6 a little more versatile, IMHO. A friend of mine had the same experiance as I did on a demo 6.6. I road one with the Manitou 150mm fork and felt that it was to much of an XC bike, atleast in the front end, the rear felt great, my friend who said the same thing about a demo 6.6 got to ride one with a longer fork and said it flat out rocked!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
But.............

Nomad has the ability to run a coil, and is an option with SC.

The 6.6 has no such option, but we haven't been told its a no-no, and don't expect to.

I want to see how a coil works on both, and get some REAL saddle time, not just BS between rain and snowstorms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,663 Posts
Well while you guys are at it, why don't you do a SUPER match:

Nomad vs 6.6 with Fox DHX-A
Nomad vs 6.6 with Fox DHX-C
Nomad vs 6.6 with Marzocchi Rocco
Nomad vs 6.6 with CaneCreek Double Barrel

Well, that would be a REAL match, you guys would be famous all over MTBR, hahahaha

OK, I'm exagerating but we do look forward to your comments on those bikes.

Cheers.

esquire said:
Nomad has the ability to run a coil, and is an option with SC.

The 6.6 has no such option, but we haven't been told its a no-no, and don't expect to.

I want to see how a coil works on both, and get some REAL saddle time, not just BS between rain and snowstorms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
Well while you guys are at it, why don't you do a SUPER match:

Nomad vs 6.6 with Fox DHX-A
Nomad vs 6.6 with Fox DHX-C
Nomad vs 6.6 with Marzocchi Rocco
Nomad vs 6.6 with CaneCreek Double Barrel

Well, that would be a REAL match, you guys would be famous all over MTBR, hahahaha

OK, I'm exagerating but we do look forward to your comments on those bikes.

Cheers.
Yikes! Thats like $2000 in rear shocks :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
esquire said:
Nomad has the ability to run a coil, and is an option with SC.

The 6.6 has no such option, but we haven't been told its a no-no, and don't expect to.

I want to see how a coil works on both, and get some REAL saddle time, not just BS between rain and snowstorms.
I wish you would get some saddle time in on both, more than likely both the Intense and the SC will have their small frames available at the same time and I will have to make a major decision, Nomad with the more favored geometry, having an extra option of a coil shock, or a quicker 6.6 that can take a 170mm fork for the ski lift runs?

There goes I again :confused:
 

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
Another point is the Nomad has the ability to be built under 30 lbs and is rather nice agressive XC build, but a tad heavy on the climbs. The 6.6 would be difficult to get under 30 lbs, I think there was a post of one close to or sub-30lbs in the 6.6 picture thread in the Intense forms. But this point could be moot if you are building a 35+ lbs. free ride machine say.

Another point to consider is the design, I prefer the 6.6 design over the Nomad, but enjoy the unique design of the Nomad. The standover can sometimes be a pain in the cojones, but not to bad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
I believe the frames with comparable shocks are within a 1/4 lb depending on which scale you want to trust. My son has had a S Nomad on order since July and I now would like him to consider the 6.6 for a number of reasons least of which is SC's inability to deliver a timely product. The four to five broken delivery dates has taken the lustre off of what should have been a great experience.I look forward to some real world comparisons to keep the excitement going.
 

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
That is part of the exciment of ordering an SC product, never know when you will or wont get one! But when it comes oh boy! :). I know the waiting really sucks, but I bet the Small Nomads are harder to come by than WMDs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
There is another player in the field, the Blur 4X.
I tried the Nomad and the 4X and it was a surprise for me to found that at the FR/DH parts the 4X was not less good then the Nomad and in the technical trails it was even better, for XC and climbing the X4 show dust to the Nomad.

Although the travel is shorter you don't feel it and the geometry is good that you feel like riding on the VPFree.

For me I can see that both frame are good for the same purpose so you can easily asked "Nomad vs. 6.6 vs. X4"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
esku said:
There is another player in the field, the Blur 4X.
I tried the Nomad and the 4X and it was a surprise for me to found that at the FR/DH parts the 4X was not less good then the Nomad and in the technical trails it was even better, for XC and climbing the X4 show dust to the Nomad.

Although the travel is shorter you don't feel it and the geometry is good that you feel like riding on the VPFree.

For me I can see that both frame are good for the same purpose so you can easily asked "Nomad vs. 6.6 vs. X4"
Thats real interesting esku, if a rider has any skill a nice light bike can be an advantage racing your freinds down the hill.

Can you post some pic's, and numbers of the bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
drumstix said:
Thats real interesting esku, if a rider has any skill a nice light bike can be an advantage racing your freinds down the hill.

Can you post some pic's, and numbers of the bike?
Yes you right, if you have the skill that bike can do it all.

With the light setup (trails, xc) its 12.5 Kg'
Full XT
Mavic 618 on Middleburn and DT Onyx.
Maxxis high roller 2.35/2.1.

Heavy setup (fun/technical trails/FR/DH) Its 16 Kg'
Full XT
Mavic 729 on Hope hubs
Maxxis 2.7/2.5.
 

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top