Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for a new front triangle for my nomad where i cracked it last weekend.
when i get it back i'm going to ebay it and get a dirtbag. So my questions are as follows,

1. It looks like the seat post clamp (34.9 mm) will work, but the post on the nomad is 30.9 mm and the post needed for the DB is 30 mm and won't work. Is this correct?

2. Although the clamp size on the front derailer for the nomad is 34.9 mm as called for on the DB I think the direction of swing is wrong and won't work. Is this correct?

3. I have a e13 drs chainguide on the nomad that I think will work fine regaurdless of choice of front derailer. Is this correct?

Other than that is there anything else which won't change from frame to frame that I'm overlooking?

·
Registered
708 Posts
are you swapping parts? what for are you riding on the nomad? i would recommend riding the dirtbag w/180mm fork.

1. the seat post on the dirtbag will only work w/30mm seatposts. 30.9mm will not fit.
2. try it, if it doesnt work you can find front derailleurs on closeouts for cheap.
3. e13drs will perfectly work, regardless of front derailleur, but it needs to be set for two rings only. if the front derailleur is set for 3 rings it will hit the bashr.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what I thought. Just needed conformation.

I will be using my fox 36 float fork for a month or two till I can afford the $800 to a $1000 for a marzochhi 66 or a RS totem. It looks like you can order the bike with that size fork if you want it anyway, but I think it needs the 180mm personally. And yes, I know I need a headset to reduce a 1.5 headtube to a 1.125 steertube. The new nomad will have a 1.5 anyway.

Thanks Albertonannil.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi friend:

I went from my Nomad to a Dirtbag, yes, the change is HUUUUGEEEE, and the price too jejeje. I loved my Nomad, but my friends started to ride more downhill, I switched to an Dirtbag. About the set up, yes the seat tube is 30.0, you can use an 27.7 if you want with the shim sapcer to fit the 30.0 I did it. About the front derailleur is 34.9, your Nomad will not work (mine didn't) because you need the cage be lower than the clamp. About the e13, I had one fitted in the ISCG (don't use the BB fitted will not work) was ok very nice looking, but like I don't like pedaling 20Km a 19 Kg bie I switched to the LG1 and a 34 tooth ring, now is my loved bike.

hope this worked for you friend and enjoy it!!!

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
skyboss said:
thats what I thought. Just needed conformation.

I will be using my fox 36 float fork for a month or two till I can afford the $800 to a $1000 for a marzochhi 66 or a RS totem. It looks like you can order the bike with that size fork if you want it anyway, but I think it needs the 180mm personally. And yes, I know I need a headset to reduce a 1.5 headtube to a 1.125 steertube. The new nomad will have a 1.5 anyway.

Thanks Albertonannil.
JensonUSA.com has a sale on the 06 66 rc3 for $600. Perfect fork for the DirtBag. :thumbsup:

Pick one up now if you can swing it. Probably won't be available at that price for long.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK303A19-Marzocchi+66+Rc-3+08.aspx

G

·
YoPawn said:
JensonUSA.com has a sale on the 06 66 rc3 for $600. Perfect fork for the DirtBag. :thumbsup:

Pick one up now if you can swing it. Probably won't be available at that price for long.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK303A19-Marzocchi+66+Rc-3+08.aspx
Don't bother, they are all the original 08 66 RC3's and all of them have the bushing slop problem which will require new lowers and are more of a headache that they are worth.

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
Don't bother, they are all the original 08 66 RC3's and all of them have the bushing slop problem which will require new lowers and are more of a headache that they are worth.
Hmm $600 and all you have to do is send it in for a week and you have a perfect 66?

Doesn't sound bad to me compared to paying $950 + for an 09. :p

BTW, been trashing my 08 66 since last year. Still in perfect working order, so when they are good they're GOOD.

G

·
YoPawn said:
Hmm $600 and all you have to do is send it in for a week and you have a perfect 66?

Doesn't sound bad to me compared to paying $950 + for an 09. :p

BTW, been trashing my 08 66 since last year. Still in perfect working order, so when they are good they're GOOD.
And when they're bad, they make good fuel...:D

G

·
YoPawn said:
What's the story with that?

Were they broken or did someone just feel like wasting tons of money for a good photo?:p
Just one of the nearly dozen sets of lowers that my LBS had to replace so far this year on 66's. Might as well make good use of them since they aren't worth riding. Man do they create one hell of a fireworks display once they get burning:D

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
Just one of the nearly dozen sets of lowers that my LBS had to replace so far this year on 66's. Might as well make good use of them since they aren't worth riding. Man do they create one hell of a fireworks display once they get burning:D
Since this thread has been derailled enough. Does the magnesium burn even though it's an alloy?

I have a set of old lowers I would love testing this on. :D

G

·
YoPawn said:
Since this thread has been derailled enough. Does the magnesium burn even though it's an alloy?

I have a set of old lowers I would love testing this on. :D
Oh yeah, just don't look at it once it goes up. Its like a welding torch:D

And to put the thread back on topic. You will need a SRAM X-Gen high clamp front derailleur for the Dirtbag, they can be found for about $20.

The DRS should work as long as its the ISCG mount version.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
Poor old Mr Marzocchi, wtf man, what goes through his head? Ride the wave created by making quality in the past... jack up our prices until $1k forks are the norm.... outsourcing, huh, what is that? Nah don't worry everyone does it! And QC? Huh? You talking to me? Hey, look over there, it's a BOMBER GIRL! Sorry your fork sucks but at least there are some boobies on the decals, that should make you feel better!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.