Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a new Nomad Large size. (done about 2hrs riding so far)
I'm 6'1 and prefer a shorter cockpit anyway

Currently running a Thomson 90mm stem.
It feels ok, but think I may be happier with an 80mm ?

Any thoughts on this

Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
70mm

I'm 6' riding a large Nomad with a 70mm stem and Easton 1.5" riser bar. So far so good. On long climbs I feel no pain in my back or shoulders. Going downhill, I feel very confident and of course, when getting air, it's pretty easy to loft the front end. The only problem I've experienced is when I'm climbing a very steep hill, the front end wanders all over the place. I have to sit at the tip of nose on the seat and it cures the problem. Hope that helps with your choice.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
SprocketHead said:
I'm 6' riding a large Nomad with a 70mm stem and Easton 1.5" riser bar. So far so good. On long climbs I feel no pain in my back or shoulders. Going downhill, I feel very confident and of course, when getting air, it's pretty easy to loft the front end. The only problem I've experienced is when I'm climbing a very steep hill, the front end wanders all over the place. I have to sit at the tip of nose on the seat and it cures the problem. Hope that helps with your choice.
Could I ask what type of seatpost you are using (straight or layback)? Did you try moving the seat up front as much as possible? Thanks

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
I am 5'11" and I have a large nomad and run a 90mm stem with a riser bar and straight seatpost.
Might be interesting to see what the difference would be to running a shorter stem. So far so good for me!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Straight Post

BanzaiRider said:
Could I ask what type of seatpost you are using (straight or layback)? Did you try moving the seat up front as much as possible? Thanks
I'm running a 410mm Thomson straight seatpost with WTB Rocket V saddle. It's pretty much sitting at the middle of the rails on the seat. I haven't played around with it but it's pretty comfy where it's at when I ride flat trails.

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a contour trail ride on the dirt today on my Nomad (quite flat with some mild tech rock sections) I am ran a 90mm Thomson. In summary it felt ok, but as the trail was quite flat i didnt notice any huge issues.
Still looking at a 70mm stem as I'm sure it will help down the steeps and extra tech sections when I get there.

Just to re- ask the question (before I order one) what are most people using on their Large Nomads...70,80 or 90mm stems?

Thanks again

·
Registered
356 Posts
i'm waiting for a Nomad large size ,my height is 6,1 i'm thinking use FSA fr-200 70 mm and thomsom straight seatpost , last MBACTION issue shows Mark Weir bike´s with a Easton Havoc 70 mm it's realy cool ,but i just can find in on-line store 85 mm...

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Further to my recent info today... Im running a straight Thomson seatpost (i need to get it down real low for the real scary sections)

Also I found it a lot harder to manual today with the 90mm stem and Fox 36Rc2 Talas (compared to my Chameleon with 80mm stem and a Z1Fr1)
The 36 talas isnt an overly heavy fork, so I attribute the hard manualing to the long stem length.

By the way I really like the way the Nomad handles... I feel so at home on it, the dip in the TT gives me more confidence and the DHX Air is very nice. Overall I'm very pleased so far.

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Chameleon comparison.

rogue said:
Further to my recent info today... Im running a straight Thomson seatpost (i need to get it down real low for the real scary sections)

Also I found it a lot harder to manual today with the 90mm stem and Fox 36Rc2 Talas (compared to my Chameleon with 80mm stem and a Z1Fr1)
The 36 talas isnt an overly heavy fork, so I attribute the hard manualing to the long stem length.

By the way I really like the way the Nomad handles... I feel so at home on it, the dip in the TT gives me more confidence and the DHX Air is very nice. Overall I'm very pleased so far.
Maybe not a good comparison for an FS bike to your Chameleon's wheelying qualities. Your hardtail is a highly flickable and manueverable bike. Most FS bikes are harder to wheelie mainly because of having a pivot which affects the CG of the bike as you're maintaining balance. Plus the Nomad's pivot is connected to a 17.5" effective swingarm length which is relatively huge. A shorter stem will improve wheelying, but I'd bet your Nomad will always be notably harder to wheelie compared to your Chameleon. I have a Nomad ordered and am looking forward to how it compares to my light weight Bullit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts