Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5'10-5'11 and currently ride a medium(17") Ellsworth Joker. It falls between a medium and large Nomad. Joker top tube is 23.2", seat tube 17", and head tube is 4.75".
The medium Nomad has the same seat tube but the top tube is .4" shorter. The large Nomad has a 1.5" longer seat tube and a .6" longer top tube than the Joker. I like the ride and handling of the Joker but I'm not sure how much of a difference a half inch either way is going to make. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
one more time
539 Posts
mototech said:
I am 5'10-5'11 and currently ride a medium(17") Ellsworth Joker. It falls between a medium and large Nomad. Joker top tube is 23.2", seat tube 17", and head tube is 4.75".
The medium Nomad has the same seat tube but the top tube is .4" shorter. The large Nomad has a 1.5" longer seat tube and a .6" longer top tube than the Joker. I like the ride and handling of the Joker but I'm not sure how much of a difference a half inch either way is going to make. Thanks in advance for any help.
Hey Moto

What sort of riding are you doing now? Im on a large Nomad and Im about the same height so can give you some feedback if you like.

Benz

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
LARGE, plain and simple I am your height and opted for the Large because i like a little more of a streched out feeling. But the Nomad doesn't completely ride like that, which a XC bike would. A medium might be to small for you unless you want the "flickability" of a smaller bike.

Otherwise get a large.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
benzology72 said:
Hey Moto

What sort of riding are you doing now? Im on a large Nomad and Im about the same height so can give you some feedback if you like.

Benz
Benz, I would say I do it all. My Joker has a heavy duty build- 38.5 pounds, 7" travel front and rear. I ride drops and ladders, horse trails, cross country trails, even some street. Whatever it is though it will be an agressive ride. I have no problem putting in 30+ mile days with a little bit of everything thrown in. Climbing is no problem either- most climbs are steep but not very long. How is your Nomad set up?

·
one more time
539 Posts
mototech said:
Benz, I would say I do it all. My Joker has a heavy duty build- 38.5 pounds, 7" travel front and rear. I ride drops and ladders, horse trails, cross country trails, even some street. Whatever it is though it will be an agressive ride. I have no problem putting in 30+ mile days with a little bit of everything thrown in. Climbing is no problem either- most climbs are steep but not very long. How is your Nomad set up?
OK Moto - Ive come from the other end of the scale - my other bike is a blur classic at 27 pounds!!

My set-up is large grey ano -
Fox DHX Air
Fox 36RC2
XT cranks, Front DR & shifters
XTR rear
Hope mono M4 - 8" front 7" rear - braided hoses
Mavic 321 plus kenda
Easton Vise and EA70 bars
Thomson post

Weighs in a fraction over 32 pounds - most of my riding is in the jungles as I live in south east asia - quite technical, mix of of rocks, roots, technical downhills and similar climbing - short and sharp - no long fire road stuff like back home downunder.

After riding a blur for three years I did notice the weight penalty when I first started riding the Nomad (anyone that tells you otherwise is full of #@$%). Also the rear end is far more active than the blur setup which is more XC focused.

But - I have had the Nomad for 2 months and I have hardly ridden the Blur at all - the nomad climbs really well - seems to stay hooked up and whilst its no XC bike it is just such a pleasure to ride that you forget the weight quickly - I expect that coming from your joker you could build a 34-35 pound Nomad that is bulletproof.

I expected the front wheel to be quite vague and initially i would wind the travel down on longer climbs but havent experienced that - although climbing on a VPP did take me a while to get dialled in - its all about staying seated with your weight as far forward as possible. Downhill this bike is unreal - end of story.

With regard to the frame size I would recommend going for the larger frame and fit with shorter stem etc - will give you more positive feel - and awesome stability.

Basically the Nomad is an amazing ride.....

Let me know if you want more detail....

Benz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.