Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am presently running a float rear shock on my nomad with a talas rc2 up front.

I ride aggressive XC with no big drops or jumps. However, I am a big guy and at times the lack of adjustability on the float frustrates the hell outta me!

I previously had a classic Blur with an RP3 and I loved the three propedal settings. I was thinking about going for the DHX air as the RP3 is not available for the Nomad.

I was wondering if anyone has experience of both the RP3 and the DHX air and if they could compare the two?

Thanks in advance.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
mentawais said:
you are a big guy go after a dhx coil , it's has far better performance than dhx air ., i have a nomad dhx air i don´t like it...
I agree! I had a 5th Gravity and went to a DHX-5 coil.
The Gravity was way too linear, and felt like a pogo stick...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Don't get a DHX air if your over 210lbs. I'm 220lbs and had to pressurize mine to almost 300psi to get the sag right. But it didn't do much for the performance. The shock was too linear for me. Seemed to almost bottom on a 2 foot drop. It pedaled very well though. I switched to a ROCCO and have been very impressed. With the sag set at the correct point, the suspension hardly bobs at all. Much better performance and it still pedals great.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Stupordave said:
Don't get a DHX air if your over 210lbs. I'm 220lbs and had to pressurize mine to almost 300psi to get the sag right. But it didn't do much for the performance. The shock was too linear for me. Seemed to almost bottom on a 2 foot drop. It pedaled very well though. I switched to a ROCCO and have been very impressed. With the sag set at the correct point, the suspension hardly bobs at all. Much better performance and it still pedals great.
Same for me, however I'm light at 150lbs. I bought a Rocco to get something different then the Float and I've been using it ever since. I thought I would be using the Float on more XC days in order to save some weight but finally the Rocco gives such a nice ride that I leave it there all the time. A great, set and forget type of shock.

·
Binge Rider
221 Posts
Linear???

I don't mean to hijack the thead here but can somebody explain what "linear" means? And after that, what's "progressive" and how does it differ from linear? Thanks Spine Shank

·
Registered
400 Posts
If a spring's rate is linear, its rate is not affected by the load put onto the spring. For example, a linear rate spring rated at 500 lb. per inch will compress 1" when a 500 lb. weight is placed onto the spring. If another 500 lb. weight is put onto the spring the spring will compress another inch. At this point the load on the spring has increased to 1000 pounds. The rate of the spring, however, remains constant at 500 lb. per inch.

If the load put onto a spring increases the rate of the spring, the spring is said to have a progressive rate.

·
Binge Rider
221 Posts
Boogie Man,
Thanks for the lesson. So would I be correct in saying that riders don't like linear suspensions because they're inhearently get stiffer the deeper into its' stroke. And the pros' to the progressive shock is??? It get's softer? I ask because I am on a new Heckler with a DHX Air and I am trying to figure out if it's progressive or linear. The DHX Air either sucks on small bump compliance or blows through its travel on 2 ' drops. Single pivot, high falling rate I'm not sure mixes well with the DHX Air....progressive or linear... still trying to figure that one out.:) Whatever it is, I'm going to buy the opposite!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.