Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
(I'm yelling)
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a complete sram x9 Nomad with the Talas 36 & 5.0 air shock the first of may for $3850, my dealer told me if I pre-paid he would give me a 10% discount. Well the bike was ready yesterday so I took delivery at the agreed price, then I got a call from the bike shop today saying they had made a mistake on my bill and I actually owed them another $400 because Santa Cruz had raised thier prices on the 07 bikes.

He explained that when I ordered my bike I was supposed to get an 06 but because it took so long to get here it was an 07. I'm not to happy. I was stretching my wallet to afford the bike I ordered and now they want me to fork over another $400?? To make matters worse, I got the bike home and started to get the suspension set up for my weight and discovered the fork would not hold air :madmax:

Anyone know If there really is a price increase on complete bikes??

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
AZNOMAD said:
I ordered a complete sram x9 Nomad with the Talas 36 & 5.0 air shock the first of may for $3850, my dealer told me if I pre-paid he would give me a 10% discount. Well the bike was ready yesterday so I took delivery at the agreed price, then I got a call from the bike shop today saying they had made a mistake on my bill and I actually owed them another $400 because Santa Cruz had raised thier prices on the 07 bikes.

He explained that when I ordered my bike I was supposed to get an 06 but because it took so long to get here it was an 07. I'm not to happy. I was stretching my wallet to afford the bike I ordered and now they want me to fork over another $400?? To make matters worse, I got the bike home and started to get the suspension set up for my weight and discovered the fork would not hold air :madmax:

Anyone know If there really is a price increase on complete bikes??
Thats fairly rank, sounds like you prepaid for the 10% discount, the LBS got the use of your money, and then turn around and demand more loot. Not your issue they took so long on the delivery................ Man I would be doing my nuts so to speak............ Sucha shame about hte fork though. Surely your LBS can understand your plight and work something out.

Good luck, feel for ya, that SUX

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
Not good.

I have heard excuses from my LBS about the increase in metal prices, etc....

I think they will tell u anything, but if you put a deposit down, then the price should be fixed. Its not your fault the bike took longer than expected....

Good luck sorting it out.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
AZNOMAD said:
That is pretty much the most ridiculus thing I've ever heard. If this is not a troll, and you're actually serious (and all the facts are true), then it sounds like you got a good deal. You don't owe the LBS one cent. They quoted you a price on a bike, you paid it, they gave you the bike. Done deal. Your fork should be under warranty from Fox, I'd go through then directly to deal with it.

If my LBS (a SC dealer) were to pull something like this, I'd be sure to let SC know what was going on, even though the manufacturer was just as or more responsible for the delay in delivery. And I'd be going to a different LBS from then on.

Patrick

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
There was a price increase in Feb. '06. But no price increases since then. Sounds like your LBS screwed up and is trying to make it up.

mtnbikej

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
The price on the website for the complete bike still says $3880. If you swapped any parts out of that build kit, the LBS may have charged you for the frame, fork and kit price. Still not right after you were quoted a price and placed your deposit.

If they do not budge.....take your buisness elsewhere. Nomads are readily available and most shops have them.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is just wrong, and i believe that it can be combated through the attourney general, tell them you will contact them if you don't get the bike for what you were quoted, then call them if they won't and also call santa cruz.

·
(I'm yelling)
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I did upgrade the wheels/tires, and head set. They just charged me the difference between what the speced parts cost and the upgraded parts. Here's how it alll breaks down on my recipt;

Large ano slate nomad- $3850
upgrade 70mm crossmax wheels/tubeless tires- $399.99
wellgo pedals- $65
Chris king headset- $80

Total parts- $4394
with10% discount- $3955
plus assembly labor - $45
plus tax - 355.99

Total otd- $4275.35 Charged on my card.

The numbers dont exactly jive, but that is how my reciept reads.I'm going to try to get over there today, I'll report the outcome.

Thanks for the responses!

·
(I'm yelling)
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I allready have the bike so I could just refuse to pay the additional ammount and get my fork repaired somewhere else but I'd like to give them a chance to make things right.

·
(I'm yelling)
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One other bit of wierdness is the front derailer is a xt unit, the rest of the bike is sram. Is there any logic behind that?

I'm fairly new to bikes so I dont know if there is some advantage to this set up??

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
AZNOMAD said:
One other bit of wierdness is the front derailer is a xt unit, the rest of the bike is sram. Is there any logic behind that?

I'm fairly new to bikes so I dont know if there is some advantage to this set up??
The Xt shifts far better than the Sram, and is probably the only compatable style (non traditional). I can't believe they charged you an assembly fee. Maybe you should try an online store:) Shopping online you are dealing with pros who do this day in day out, they spend their time building frame up, not just unpacking and trueing the wheel and checking over some tiawanese guys pre-assembled bike. Did I mention there is no sales tax this way. Sometimes your local shop won't have a frame because the online shops have bought the available ones already. Ride On- E2 [email protected]

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
The Xt shifts far better than the Sram, and is probably the only compatable style (non traditional). I can't believe they charged you an assembly fee. Maybe you should try an online store:) Shopping online you are dealing with pros who do this day in day out, they spend their time building frame up, not just unpacking and trueing the wheel and checking over some tiawanese guys pre-assembled bike. Did I mention there is no sales tax this way. Sometimes your local shop won't have a frame because the online shops have bought the available ones already. Ride On- E2 [email protected]
Agree, the shop should not have charged you an assembly fee. This amount is generally already figured into the price of the bike/profit.

Sram front derailluers are not compatible with the a lot of frames, SC escpecially.

mtnbikej

·
(I'm yelling)
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I just got back from the bike shop. The owner explained that Santa Cruz shipped 07 equipment with out letting him know and as a result he would have charged me the regular price but the employee who charged me didn't know. Some miscomunication on thier part.

They made things right and I've got to respect them for that.

The bottom line on the bike is (according to the shop) the 06 that was $3850 is now $42??, and the schrader valve was loose on the fork.

I'm finally going out to ride!!:)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Please tell me you did not give that shop the extra four hundred dollars! This is the worst example why NOT to buy through a LBS i have seen in a while. I would definatly call Santa Cruz and let them know what kind of crap their dealers are pulling. And if you already have the bike there is no reason at all to pay them.

Long live mail order!!!!!

·
(I'm yelling)
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
forceyoda said:
Please tell me you did not give that shop the extra four hundred dollars!
Absolutely not! When I bought the bike the sales guy gave me 10% off everything, he was supposed to give me 10% off the bike only not the upgrades and I knew that. I offered to pay the 10% back on the wheels/tires and headset ($50) and he accepted.

The difference in the 07 is the fork;
160mm travel, F.I.T system and a new Travel adjuster,

Shock:
No Idea except the lbs said it costs him around $150 more than last years model.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
AZNOMAD said:
Shock:
No Idea except the lbs said it costs him around $150 more than last years model.
That's a load of crap. He may have quoted you a price based on a Fox Float rear shock. The DHX Air is an option at additional cost. Still, though......whole deal sounds fishy.

mtnbikej

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
AZNOMAD said:
Shock: No Idea except the lbs said it costs him around $150 more than last years model.
It sounds like they forgot to include the upcharge for the DHX air in the original price quote. According to the current SC website pricing (as of July '06) the base anodized Nomad with X9 kit is $3884. That includes the 5th Gravity rear shock. If we look at the shock upgrades column at the top of the page, there is a $371 upcharge for the DHX Air. Ouch. That's probably the $400 they wanted. I don't know if that upcharge price is higher than last year, but it sure sounds high as you can get them aftermarket for $450 or less.

It's still their screw-up. I guess the applicable phrase would be "let the seller beware"? ;) Have fun on the bike, that's a great bike (and parts spec), especially for the price. Post some pics.

Patrick

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
Hmmm- the $400 sounds like they want the 10% savings back. This "'07" thing is BS as Santa Cruz doesn't go by model years anyway, and we're nowhere near 2007 yet either. Tell them that since you ordered the bike and received the bike in early/mid 2006, '06 stuff is fine.

However, as mentioned above, they may have forgotten to charge you for the shock upgrade. If that is the case (and if it is, why didn't they just say so) the honest thing to do would be to swap it for the base shock or pay the difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.