Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been haven truble about wich bike im gonna get. Either the Nomad with the DHX 5.0 and the 36. Or A VP Free? I would like to get something that i can peddle up hills. Bomb Down them. Race downhill and be able to do some freeride at Northstar and Whistler. Which one is the MAIN question! Help me out please! :confused:

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
jekylldude178 said:
Ive been haven truble about wich bike im gonna get. Either the Nomad with the DHX 5.0 and the 36. Or A VP Free? I would like to get something that i can peddle up hills. Bomb Down them. Race downhill and be able to do some freeride at Northstar and Whistler. Which one is the MAIN question! Help me out please! :confused:
Race downhill and be able to do some freeride at Northstar and Whistler = VP Free.

The Nomad is a capable bike but if you ride FR / DH @ resorts go VP Free. If you want a trail bike with FR capabilities go Nomad.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I have a Nomad and got to ride a Free at Bootleg Canyon. The two recommendations you've already received here are spot on. You really have to be honest with yourself about what the bulk of your riding will really consist of. The Nomad is a very capable bike, but if real DH and shuttle/lift assist style riding will make up the majority of your riding, the Free is the better choice. Unfortunately this situation often brings up the fact that in reality most people who truly do both forms of riding...climbing/trail/AM...and DH/FR/ski resort riding...really need two bikes to do it right. I will make this assessment, however. If you only had one bike for these two activities, I believe the Nomad is more capable of going into the DH/lift assist type of riding than the Free is of going into trail riding...but both bikes involve some pretty big compromises either way.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I know that the nomad can handle some really heavy riding but if you are going to be riding DH/FR go for the VPFree. Besides you are only looking at a half lbs. difference between the two frames anyways and if push comes to shove you can AM a Free but I don't think you want to run a Nomad in DH conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.