Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to see what you guys think. I am thinking of selling my Nomad that has a Roco and a 06 66rc2x on it and getting a uzzi or a socom. I do not huck but I like to free ride and go balls out. what do you think. I ride the same bike for all types of rides. should I bake the move?????:confused:

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
You should bake the move on an uzzi muffin.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been real happy with my Uzzi vpx. I like the geometry and of corse the weight of the Socom, but it is an FRO frame, so I would still stick with the Uzzi. I have also been real happy with Intense, I had an M1, now have the Uzzi vpx and M3.

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
I recently moved from a Nomad to a 6.6. The 6.6's suspension is more silky on the trail than the Nomads. The Nomad seemed to "thud" through the rocks where the 6.6 soaks them up in a far more refined manner.
As far as a move up to a Uzzi you are talking about a completely different type of bike, and the Socom is even further away from a trailbike. I have an Uzzi and love it, but it not a great trailbike. It pedals very well, but it is a tank and built for abuse. If you want a 'do it all' kind of bike I would say the 6.6 is a great choice. It will feel like an improved version of your Nomad. There is a 6.6 'slope style' bike coming from Intense that also may be of interest to you, it will be lower, slacker and tougher (than the current 6.6). But with all that said the Uzzi is an awesome bike as well, just not as fun to pedal up the hills on.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I tried the Nomad - didnt like it too much
The 6.6 is OK and better then the Nomad - I had one
The 5.5 is great - I ride one
The Socom is not bad - I ride one
But the UZZI VPX is the best of them all - I ride one

If you need one bike and you ride everything and you dont mind not to be the first in XC race, then the VPX is the bike.
If paddling is your game then the 6.6 or even the 5.5 will be better
The Socom is only for DH, in all other parts the VPX is better

My two .......

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!!! I live in AZ and ride s. mtn A LOT!!! I pedal only to get to the top. ( I like to work for the fun ) I thougut about the socom only because of the lbs. But you think the uzzie will work better!?? I will put on a Roco and a 66RC2X

·
Registered
557 Posts
esku said:
I tried the Nomad - didnt like it too much
The 6.6 is OK and better then the Nomad - I had one
The 5.5 is great - I ride one
The Socom is not bad - I ride one
But the UZZI VPX is the best of them all - I ride one

If you need one bike and you ride everything and you dont mind not to be the first in XC race, then the VPX is the bike.
If paddling is your game then the 6.6 or even the 5.5 will be better
The Socom is only for DH, in all other parts the VPX is better

My two .......
Hmm I wonder why you like the Uzzi better than the Socom for non DH stuff?
It is heavier, and has the same head angle with the same fork I think?

What sizes are your frames ?
Cheers

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
9-18 Fast said:
Thanks!!! I live in AZ and ride s. mtn A LOT!!! I pedal only to get to the top. ( I like to work for the fun ) I thougut about the socom only because of the lbs. But you think the uzzie will work better!?? I will put on a Roco and a 66RC2X
I ride an Uzzi to the top of South Mountain too. It works very well. Get the uzzi if you don't mind being passed by the dudes on hardtails. If you can deal with a single ring then get the socom. If you want a dual ring setup then get the Uzzi. We shoud go ride sometime

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
i'm not into climbing but i can still climb w/ my VPX fine. i never really put the blame on my bike... but more on my legs. if you have strong legs, u will have no problem... if you have weak legs, they will only get stronger. ;D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
peachy-B said:
i'm not into climbing but i can still climb w/ my VPX fine. i never really put the blame on my bike... but more on my legs. if you have strong legs, u will have no problem... if you have weak legs, they will only get stronger. ;D
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
780 Posts
The Uzzi climbs quite well for what it is. Obviously you're not going to blast up a steep uphill like you might on an XC bike, but the ride up on the Uzzi is pretty tolerable. I find if I crank on a bit of propedal and drop my fork to 5" I can hold my own on trail/XC rides. Once you point the Uzzi down something the pain of riding up disappears pretty fast. :D

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
9-18 Fast said:
OK, I'm going to go with the UZZ:thumbsup: So what is better, going with a 1.5 head set or doing a reducer and putting in a king:confused: I have never had a 1.5 before, so I dont know what is the best.
If you wanna go with a 1.5 headset then you need a 1.5 steer tube. If you wanna go with a 1.5 steer tube then you will need to with either a manitou travis or a Rock Shox Totem. I have heard rumors about Marz having a 1.5 but can someone confirm this?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Rover Nick said:
If you wanna go with a 1.5 headset then you need a 1.5 steer tube. If you wanna go with a 1.5 steer tube then you will need to with either a manitou travis or a Rock Shox Totem. I have heard rumors about Marz having a 1.5 but can someone confirm this?
OE for Scott only in 07

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
9-18 Fast said:
Thanks!!! I live in AZ and ride s. mtn A LOT!!!
If that's the case, then just get the Uzzi. It will be way better suited for S.MTN. BTW, have you ridden Goat Camp in the White Tank Mtns? My bro-in-law just moved there and we're thinking of hitting it next month.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.