Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current ride is an xc bike but I want to elevate my weekend riding to an agressive AM bike. I narrowed down my option between the Nomad & the RFX. your thoughts on the overall performance of these bikes...:confused: :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
TURNER RFX You really can't go wrong with either bike. I have a 5 spot with a DHXC and a Zoke Z1 and couldn't be happier with it. It's perfectly happy with long ass climbs and bombs like a big trail bike without the weight. Both those bikes are great climbers. They also feel alot different so ride both if you can. I've ridden both and like the feel of the RFX, that's no surprise however cuz I'm not a big fan of VPP bikes. If I was looking at an RFX I would also be checking out the Ventanas. BTW go with the coil on either bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nomad or Turner RFX

6 SPOT said:
TURNER RFX You really can't go wrong with either bike. I have a 5 spot with a DHXC and a Zoke Z1 and couldn't be happier with it. It's perfectly happy with long ass climbs and bombs like a big trail bike without the weight. Both those bikes are great climbers. They also feel alot different so ride both if you can. I've ridden both and like the feel of the RFX, that's no surprise however cuz I'm not a big fan of VPP bikes. If I was looking at an RFX I would also be checking out the Ventanas. BTW go with the coil on either bike.
Thanks for the tip 6 SPOT. I'm inclined to get the frame with the dhx air for weight reason. :)
 

·
3 "fiddy" for short
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Gambit said:
Thanks for the tip 6 SPOT. I'm inclined to get the frame with the dhx air for weight reason. :)
It depends what you weigh, but if you are heavier the dhx air will feel mushy and will blow through its travel with the 3:1 leverage ratio of the RFX. Other air shocks may work better, but those who have used the air, including myself, have found that the mid stroke of the DHX is quite soft. Its not a bad thing, buy you will have to use REALLY high pressures to get the feel that you want. Some couldnt get the feel that they wanted because they hit the PSI limit of the shock.

I would second the Coil version of the DHX and Push it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
Careful there

Gambit said:
My current ride is an xc bike but I want to elevate my weekend riding to an agressive AM bike. I narrowed down my option between the Nomad & the RFX. your thoughts on the overall performance of these bikes...:confused: :idea:
You don't say what you are riding right now but be aware that a 6" / 30+ pounds bike might not be what you want. There are shorter travel bikes (5-5.5") that might be much more versatile then the one you mention. Big, heavy, all-mountain are exactly that: big and heavy.

And, if I were you, for long travel 5" plus all-mountain (which really means, in my book, all around: down and up) I would stay away from single pivots (faux-bars or not).
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Has the OP considered the 6.6? The new (07) RFX is a bit taller / shorter / steeper feeling than the old RFX / 6-Packs. The Turner is arguably moving away from the Nomad in terms of gemetry and handling characteristics and more towards the 6.6. If you are splitting hairs between similar bikes, it would be a 6.6/RFX choice. The Nomad feels quite different to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
be350ka said:
Reasons please.
Because the reasons have been explained many many many times before.

Besides, my main point is that marketing is pushing 30-35+ pounds 6"+ travel mongo-machines on the market. Those can be fun, but all-mountain (read long 2-3h rides with generous uphill) they might be not ... or they might if you don't mind the extra weight, and slugginesh, or you are a big guy ...
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
tscheezy said:
Has the OP considered the 6.6? The new (07) RFX is a bit taller / shorter / steeper feeling than the old RFX / 6-Packs. The Turner is arguably moving away from the Nomad in terms of gemetry and handling characteristics and more towards the 6.6. If you are splitting hairs between similar bikes, it would be a 6.6/RFX choice. The Nomad feels quite different to me.
tscheezy, which 6pt6? you know there are 2 of them nowadays
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,227 Posts
Fo may even be referring to two Intense 6.6 models. Or maybe I dreamed that in a drunken haze...LOL! There are two now, aren't there? And tscheezy...you know you're a dyed-in-the-wool Nomad hater.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Davide said:
You don't say what you are riding right now but be aware that a 6" / 30+ pounds bike might not be what you want. There are shorter travel bikes (5-5.5") that might be much more versatile then the one you mention. Big, heavy, all-mountain are exactly that: big and heavy.

And, if I were you, for long travel 5" plus all-mountain (which really means, in my book, all around: down and up) I would stay away from single pivots (faux-bars or not).
My current ride is a Blur. I want an all around bike that's why I'm considering the Nomad or the RFX though I'm keeping my old bike as my alternative ride. :)
 

·
3 "fiddy" for short
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Gambit said:
My current ride is a Blur. I want an all around bike that's why I'm considering the Nomad or the RFX though I'm keeping my old bike as my alternative ride. :)
Well then go heavy!! Ask FO, a heavy bike is the only way to go. Right??;)

Oh, and be sure to put it on a budget too. (inside joke):p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
I demoed a Nomad a few months ago and was quite impressed with the pedaling efficiency. You could stand up and mash without feeling any movement in the rear. Sometimes this felt a little too numb for my taste but that might be because I am used to four bar designs. The bike was very stable at speed and a very capable all-rounder.

That being said, I recently bought a Turner RFX and couldn't be happier with it. If I could only have one bike, the RFX would NOT be it. It has much more of a big bike feel than the Nomad and complements my Turner Flux extremely well. Incidentally, my Flux has a Horst link pivot, while the RFX is a faux-bars design and, personally, I can't tell the difference even running minimal platform in the DHX coil. I am sure more sophisticated riders might be able to appreciate the difference in performance between the two designs but what I am saying is, before you wrap your head around the Horst-vs-faux issue try the two bikes and see if it matters to you.

On technical terrain the RFX with the DHX coil is a stunning performer. I have only been able to ride the RFX on all-mountain rides so far because of the weather, no gravity-fed trails. My bike weighs 34lbs and while it's no featherweight, it does the job well for long rides. Just this weekend I was on the bike for a 20 mile ride with plenty of elevation gain and steep rock rollers to play on.

Depending on which other bike you ride, how much you like it, and how much you are planning on riding on each, I think you should also consider the 5 Spot, as other people have already suggested. It's a lighter bike but if you build it right it's a killer ride. I have spent several trips in Moab riding a 5 Spot rental from Slickrock Cycles and love the bike. I decided to buy the RFX (2006 model) because I love riding the Flux and for the terrain in the Northeast that is going to remain my main steed even on very technical trails. I am planning on using the RFX as a fun bike, a travel bike for trips out West, and a bike for the days at the lifts here at home. If your new bike is going to be the bike you grab every time you ride, 34lbs is going to get old quick and especially if you are planning on putting air shocks on the bike, the Spot would probably serve you better.

For reference, I weigh 160lbs and I find the DHX Air very capable on the 5 Spot. This year both the Spot and RFX will come stock with the RP23 which I only tried briefly on a Motolite also in Moab.

either way, you are looking at killer bikes that will paint a permanent grin on your face!
 

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
Joined
·
8,848 Posts
Davide said:
Because the reasons have been explained many many many times before.

Besides, my main point is that marketing is pushing 30-35+ pounds 6"+ travel mongo-machines on the market. Those can be fun, but all-mountain (read long 2-3h rides with generous uphill) they might be not ... or they might if you don't mind the extra weight, and slugginesh, or you are a big guy ...
i'm a small guy, at 145#. i have a 34-6# (tires depending) 6.4" front and rear bike that has gone on plenty of rides in the 4-5 hour range, with several thousand feet of climbing involved. and i know plenty of people who do the same type of thing.

sure, the market is pushing that as well, but don't be too quick to pigeon-hole everyone based on the marketing you see.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
TNC said:
...you know you're a dyed-in-the-wool Nomad hater.:D
I think hater is too strong. It's just that I have ridden one on two occassions and am more impressed with a lot of other offerings out there (from a geometry standpoint- I liked the Nomad suspension a lot). El Beastro felt the same. We chatted with others at IBike who also concurred. My point is just to be able to identify what you like in bikes and go from there. Variety is good because folks could just as well prefer the Nomad feel. :)
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,227 Posts
Can't we all just get along?

tscheezy said:
I think hater is too strong. It's just that I have ridden one on two occassions and am more impressed with a lot of other offerings out there (from a geometry standpoint- I liked the Nomad suspension a lot). El Beastro felt the same. We chatted with others at IBike who also concurred. My point is just to be able to identify what you like in bikes and go from there. Variety is good because folks could just as well prefer the Nomad feel. :)
LOL!...no tscheezy, I was totally kidding about that. Last I checked, preference for a particular bike or design is still allowed on mtbr...except for FoShizzle.:D We've built up a couple of new Turner's at the shop, a 5-Spot and a Flux XC bike. I guess they were pretty good bikes.;)

Hey, I got off my duff and went over to the Intense site. Sure enough, there are two Intense models on the 6.6...the regular one and an SS (Slopestyle). Funny thing on the SS...it looks like they're trying to influence a more Nomad-like geometry and setup. Interesting.
 
1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top