Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Apples and oranges really, kinda two different price points.

I own a couple Giants and IMHO, Giant typically gives you more bang for the buck, but... I really don't like the Reign from an engineering standpoint, It's overly complicated especially with that ridiculous mud-scoop where the shock punches through the the downtube.

If it were my money I'd pop for a Heckler, it's a bit cheaper and and about a pound and a half lighter than the Nomad...

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
crash_chainpin said:
Apples and oranges really, kinda two different price points.

I own a couple Giants and IMHO, Giant typically gives you more bang for the buck, but... I really don't like the Reign from an engineering standpoint, It's overly complicated especially with that ridiculous mud-scoop where the shock punches through the the downtube.

If it were my money I'd pop for a Heckler, it's a bit cheaper and and about a pound and a half lighter than the Nomad...
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :bluefrown: :bluefrown: :bluefrown: :bluefrown: :bluefrown: :bluefrown:

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
blackagness said:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :bluefrown: :bluefrown: :bluefrown: :bluefrown: :bluefrown: :bluefrown:
BA, I'm glad you said that before I could get to it. :p

I might take heat for this, but flip a coin....they're both really nice bikes. I think the shock through the downtube is really no big deal on the Reign and they do ride really nice.....so much bang for buck, it's ridonkulous. Now, I have 3 buddies with Nomads and they're super nice and a VERY versatile too. Honestly, I'd see which one fits you better and go in that direction. Of course, if you picked up a Reign X, you'd have money left over for a good fork or maybe airfare to Whistler or Moab. :thumbsup:

Check out this recently built XO with a Totem from this post (https://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2664029&postcount=136). Prettty hawt if you ask me. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
ebx

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Wow eb...that color looks almost like the ano slate on my Nomad. Yeah, I think they're both very good bikes, especially now that you can run a piggyback shock on the Reign.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,877 Posts
Reign comes with a dhx3, Nomad probably comes with a dhx5, also the Nomad can take a dc fork. '07 Nomads have a 1.5 headtube, from what I read on here. Otherwise very similar bikes, the retail price difference is huge, though, almost enough for that Totem.

I'd agree w/ebx, go for some test rides, both frames should be easily accessable.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
TNC said:
Wow eb...that color looks almost like the ano slate on my Nomad. Yeah, I think they're both very good bikes, especially now that you can run a piggyback shock on the Reign.
Yeah, and even before it could take a piggyback it was pretty damn good so...

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
TNC said:
Sorry TNC, that's not mine....I don't think I was very clear with my post. That's a guy on the Giant boards rig and, yeah, it is really nice looking.

Mine, however, looks like this right now......seriously. :confused:

EB

P.S. I have to say I don't believe there's just one or two great bikes anymore. In this particular space you've got the Reign, Nomad, 6.6, RFX, Enduro/SXT, Covert, Devinci Hektik, Slayer, El Guapo, IH 6 point, Coilair, etc. All are very well thought out bikes that are leaps and bounds ahead of the 6"+ travel bikes from years ago. Get what fits you and your needs and you'll be happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
the quasi-exposed shock on the reign downtube has proven to be a non-issue since its inception, so i wouldnt let that sway your decision either way. my biggest gripe with the nomad is the lack of standover clearance near the headtube due to its curved top tube. the reign on the other hand offers loads of standover. as said above i would pick one that offers the better fit and more suitable geometry for your riding style, build ect.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Im not saying the reign is a bad bike because it isnt. It is a very good bike but nothing can beat the nomad. It is the closest anyone has ever got to the "one bike". But if value floats your boat go with the reign. Giants are awesome value.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Nomad or Reign XO? - Flip a coin - they are both very similar.
The new Nomad can run a 1.5 headset if that is important to you (can run internal or external cups for 1 1/8 to play with head angle if you like.)
The Reign series centers the shock lower in the frame for better center of gravity, if that is important to you.
I have a 2005 Reign, and the downtube/shock area has never been a problem with dirt or mud for me.

Like others have said there are many excellent bikes in this category of 6" trail bikes.
If you want a more XC'ish geometry look at the Intense 6.6
If you are looking more to AM/Freeride geometry, look at the Specialized enduro SX Trail
Another bike to give a serious look at is the Iron Horse 6 point series - very cool looking bike!

Coming from a DH background the OP may like this:
http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail_us.php?id=455&brandLine=Pro_US&brandID=76

The 2007 Mongoose Black Diamond Triple - Here is a 37 pound 7.5" travel bike, that can run a front derailleur, climbs as well as it goes down, and has a KILLER parts spec. for the price - can we say 'zocchi 66SL 1 ATA? :) I've taken a real demo ride on one of these, and it's awesome! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
882 Posts
BillT said:
Both great bikes...if it is well within your financial means, get the Nomad, but if you have cut back in other areas, get the Reign.
Hmmm....is this how you would buy a car? Take the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry - both great, similar cars - would you base your decision on which was more expensive, and then purchase it, if it is well within your financial means? :skep:

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
BillT said:
Both great bikes...if it is well within your financial means, get the Nomad, but if you have cut back in other areas, get the Reign.
Even if it is within his financial means, I think it should come down to ride quality and, more importantly, FIT. If the Nomad fits him better, he should definitely go in that direction. If the Reign fits him better, well, he'll have some leftover dough for a nice fork/components or airfare to BC or another riding destination. :thumbsup:

EBX

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Standover...has time changed?

Jersey said:
the quasi-exposed shock on the reign downtube has proven to be a non-issue since its inception, so i wouldnt let that sway your decision either way. my biggest gripe with the nomad is the lack of standover clearance near the headtube due to its curved top tube. the reign on the other hand offers loads of standover. as said above i would pick one that offers the better fit and more suitable geometry for your riding style, build ect.
This may sound heretical by the standards that most of us have experienced over our years of riding MTBs. I'm beginning to think that standover height as it applies to our top tubes is diminishing in importance. Even as a 55 year old geezer, I find that I don't "bail" or give up on a technical move when things go bad by planting both feet on the ground and perching over my top tube. I can remember doing this a long time ago, but for some reason this habit seems to have disappeared in my book, and when I ride with others, I think I see the same issue.

For one, our bikes are usually more capable than bikes of old, and we tend to clear things much more easily...so when we do get into trouble and have to stop, we're usually in a rock pile or some extreme pitchup...usually a place we're not going to be putting our feet down flat on the ground. Almost invariably we tend to lean to one side or the other and put a foot down while stabilizing the movement of the bike, if possible, with the other foot still on a pedal.

Hey, don't get me wrong. Extemely high top tubes can suck for more reasons than just flat-footed standover height. But while a Reign or some other bike may have a slightly lower overall top tube height than a Nomad, a Nomad hardly has a high top tube. If any top tube height is "low enough" to be useful and not dangerous, that's the important issue IMO as it applies to modern bikes and especially so as it applies to these long travel AM bikes.

·
Registered
887 Posts
deoreo said:
Hmmm....is this how you would buy a car? Take the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry - both great, similar cars - would you base your decision on which was more expensive, and then purchase it, if it is well within your financial means? :skep:
What I was getting at is that I feel that the Nomad is the better bike though at a higher price tag. If getting the Nomad would require eating Ramen for a month, then get the Reign as it is a great bike at a great price though not as nice, IMO, as the Nomad when you take price out of consideration.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.