Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Bullit and Heckler. I want to replace the Heckler and keep the Bullit for DH. The Nomad or LT would be used for everything from XC to to agressive trail riding. I am sure the LT and Nomad are very versitile and depending on the components could be built XC - FR. My concerns about the two - Nomad a little too much travel for XC style rides, the LT a little on the XC side in general. My build components : 150mm Z1 fork, Havoc AM wheelset, 2x9 XT group etc. Which frame would fit my stable ? Thanx

·
noMAD man
12,209 Posts
keen, I've gotten an impression of your riding style and preferences over a long period here, and IMO you don't strike me as a BLT guy. I'm not slamming the BLT, I just don't see your style going with that model as well. In fact, the Heckler seems like the ideal trail bike for you...tough, reliable, and capable of still being hammered abusely without weighing a ton.

IMO the Nomad may indeed be more capable of morphing across more types of riding than most other bikes depending on how you build it. With the Nomad, I think you have to throw out the idea of "too much travel for trail" concept. As long as you don't hang a bunch of DH/FR stuff on it, the Nomad makes a fast and easy -to-live-with trail bike. Even as the Nomad picks up weight, it somehow is able to continue to be ridden for long, hard, and high on just about any trail situation. Knowing you a little bit on the forums, I'd almost bet the end result of you getting a Nomad would be this...you build the Nomad up in the 32-33 pound range...you find you really like the way the Nomad does everything...you add a little more weight for more suspension performance and durability in parts...you like the Nomad better than the Bullit...the Bullit almost never gets ridden...LOL!...just having some fun there, but maybe not far from the truth. If you can discipline yourself not to build up the Nomad too heavily, I feel relatively certain you would never regret getting the Nomad over the BLT.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Once you "settle in" riding the Nomad, the Bullit will become a "dust collector"....

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree... Once you dial in the Nomad you wont want the Bullit or Heckler anymore. Unless you want to build the Bullit as a pure DH bike and keep the Nomad on the XC/AM side. I've had a Superlight, Heckler, Blur classic, and now a Nomad. Planning on selling the BC frame and buiilding up a pure XC superlight for long epics or GF rides while beefing up the Nomad to take the all around abuse.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had a dh-fr bullit, i had a kona xc hardtail, and now a have a nomad (am-fr 35 pounds bike) and it pedal almost as good as the hardtail and as fast as the bullit...no ****, maybe is mental and its just me but my nomad at least is the best bike ever!

you really dont feel the 165mm of travel at least you drop it. (my rear shock is a dhx5 coil, but my 170 pounds friend can drop 12 feets with de dhxair)

I read somewhere this bikes is like 3 bikes in one, it is. Could be your heckler, LT or bullit.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I ride a BLT but I'm a trail dude, you are on DH side and my answer to you: Sell the Heckler and the Bullit and buy a Nomad!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Nomad truely is the Jack Of All Trades!!! I was the die hard hardtail guy, and I still have one, only I don't ride it anymore because my Nomad climbs better...If you want an XC/beefy FR bike just get two wheelsets for the Nomad...

·
noMAD man
12,209 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and "out" keen here, since apparently he isn't ready to "tell all".:D He got a Nomad, according my last conversation with him. I'm reporting it before he does, because I want to pressure him into giving us an account on his take on the Nomad as soon as possible. I've come to identify keen as a very particular, discriminating guy...okay, actually somewhat anal:D ...who I think will provide the good and bad on the Nomad as he sees it without reservation...Banzai Rider is another such guy...and that's a very good thing in a tech forum to get all perspectives.

C'mon keen...give us the goods...LOL! I'm especially looking forward to his comparison of the Nomad to his Bullit on a Northstar outing, as I think he goes there with some frequency. That will be interesting...except I think he'll have the DHXA on the Nomad, so it may not be fair.:eekster:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TNC said:
I'm gonna go ahead and "out" keen here, since apparently he isn't ready to "tell all".:D He got a Nomad, according my last conversation with him. I'm reporting it before he does, because I want to pressure him into giving us an account on his take on the Nomad as soon as possible. I've come to identify keen as a very particular, discriminating guy...okay, actually somewhat anal:D ...who I think will provide the good and bad on the Nomad as he sees it without reservation...Banzai Rider is another such guy...and that's a very good thing in a tech forum to get all perspectives.

C'mon keen...give us the goods...LOL! I'm especially looking forward to his comparison of the Nomad to his Bullit on a Northstar outing, as I think he goes there with some frequency. That will be interesting...except I think he'll have the DHXA on the Nomad, so it may not be fair.:eekster:

I guess I missed this reply to my post. Sorry TNC but I won't be building the Nomad for DH. My Bullit is in 40lb+ DH trim - F/R 2.7 DH Minions, 9 x 2.75 DHX, 36mm rims, Therapy Floater etc. I plan on building the Nomad as a trail / AM build - 2.35 Kenda folding tires, DHXA, Havoc AM wheels, Z1 FR 1 fork. I have ridden the Heckler w/ that build and by Bullit feels like 50% more bike in the rough stuff. I'll still compare the geo. and rear suspension to the bullit but a greater comparison will be made against the Heckler, even to the Reign I had for a minute.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts