Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was bored and thinking about why my Medium Pivot Firebird feels much larger than my Medium Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon, so I decided to snap some pictures and do a little Photoshop magic to layer the pictures.

Front end is a little higher on the Firebird but not sure it's because the fork is longer? (Firebird-Fox 36, Nomad-Lyric). Also, I have DH bars on the Pivot which makes the front end seem even higher.

Anyway, I was surprised how close in size the frames really are. Both are fun toys :D

Picture 1: Firebird with the Nomad layered behind it
Picture 2: Nomad with the Firebird layered behind it

Attachments

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I have the exact same bikes (in XL) and I think the reason is that the Firebird rides higher in the travel than the Nomad. It's not about TT length or anything like that - it's about how the suspension design reacts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the exact same bikes (in XL) and I think the reason is that the Firebird rides higher in the travel than the Nomad. It's not about TT length or anything like that - it's about how the suspension design reacts.
I think you are right.. I do feel higher when riding the Firebird.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gotta ask, overall which bike do you like better? I know it's a subjective question, I know they are both great but, just curious what your "gut" says.
I don't think I can say which one I like better. They are very comparable bikes and each one does one thing slightly better then the other.

The Pivot does seem to peddle up the hill a little easier. It almost feels like it's got two extra gears then the nomad. I find I'm usually in the second or third lowest gear going up steep climbs vs lowest gear in the nomad.

The Nomad feels a little more plush then the 'bird. Could be because I have a DHX on mine vs the RP23 on the 'bird. I also seem to be able to toss it around a little more (more nimble), which is possibly due to the weight.

BTW, I mostly ride on South Mountain in Phoenix .

You can't go wrong with either one :thumbsup:

·
Registered
897 Posts
I don't think I can say which one I like better. They are very comparable bikes and each one does one thing slightly better then the other.

The Pivot does seem to peddle up the hill a little easier. It almost feels like it's got two extra gears then the nomad. I find I'm usually in the second or third lowest gear going up steep climbs vs lowest gear in the nomad.

The Nomad feels a little more plush then the 'bird. Could be because I have a DHX on mine vs the RP23 on the 'bird. I also seem to be able to toss it around a little more (more nimble), which is possibly due to the weight.

BTW, I mostly ride on South Mountain in Phoenix .

You can't go wrong with either one :thumbsup:
Interesting comments,
I recently did a direct comparison of a Nomad and Titus El Guapo. Both are great bikes but both do slight things better. The Guapo also climbs a little easier and I have more energy the next day to get out and ride. But the Guapo also felt better/plusher in the descents. I primarily ran a Monarch Plus on the Guapo but also ran the same RP23 that I used on the Nomad. The Nomad just always seemed to have a teeny bit of a spike when going over chunk at high speeds. Both were equally nice on small bumps. While the Guapo was a little more agile, the Nomad just killed it on straight ahead hi-speed bombs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
But which one feels better???
I had the opportunity to trow a leg over both a Nomad and a Firebird (only got to demo the Nomad, though) and the one thing that impressed me was how much more stand over the 'bird had compared to the Nomad. Being 5'6" wtih an inseam of 29", I need the extra clearance. But I would like to ride a 'bird and a Nomad back to back, and see which one actually feels better...:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.