Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been discussed before, there’s just so much reading I haven’t had time to read through all numerous pages of threads.

Any long-term opinions and running this bike in low, or slack mode? Is the BB so low that’s its a real problem hitting pedals? Is running in the low setting essentially the same as squashing down the SAG a bit more?

I just recently got an N4 and was curious of your thoughts running the bike in low setting. Is it strictly for smashing DH only? Is it still capable of climbing?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I run mine in HI. I use the bike a lot on singletrack climbs with roots. Not a lot of technical rock pitches, but enough that I’d rather not bang my foot.

If I were just climbing fire roads, or shuttling, or getting on the lift, I might put it in LO.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine is permanently in the low setting, mostly fire roads, lifts and shuttles up. I can still climb the punchy stuff when I need to, I’ve just gotten used to it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I apologize if this has been discussed before, there's just so much reading I haven't had time to read through all numerous pages of threads.

Any long-term opinions and running this bike in low, or slack mode? Is the BB so low that's its a real problem hitting pedals? Is running in the low setting essentially the same as squashing down the SAG a bit more?

I just recently got an N4 and was curious of your thoughts running the bike in low setting. Is it strictly for smashing DH only? Is it still capable of climbing?
I've used it both ways and bb height and climbing isn't too drastic from each other, although I haven't climbed tech in low setting. Suspension feel is a little different but can't exactly explain it. Neither is bad but for most my riding I prefer the hi setting but some places that are steeper I will use the low (if I remember to switch). It's a very easy swap on the Nomad since it has an asymmetric rear triangle, just give I a go some time and see for yourself. Most my riding is in tighter forest so I try to keep it a little more nimble.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had my nomad for 18 months and all but like 3 days were in the low setting. Will you pedal strike on uneven tech climbs? Yeah probably, but will it matter at the end of the day? Nah.

Going downhill in the low setting felt so much better to me. It was well worth the occasional pedal strike. I am not convinced being in hi mode would have prevented the pedal strikes either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.