Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I am seriously considering to retire my first generation Nomad in favor of an Intense Tracer VP. The Nomad has served me well I do still enjoy it, so I wouldn't mind riding it for another season. However, the Tracer VP is the first bike in a while (actually since the first Nomad came out) that I am kind of excited about.

If I bought a Tracer VP, I would build it up rather burly with a Fox 36 (probably a Float RC2) and respective components, i.e. I do not expect it to be much lighter than my Nomad and I don't particularly care about the weight either.

My style of riding are long backcountry rides of 6h and more with a lot of elevation and typically long climbs and downhills. I am not into jumps and stunts but I do appreciate challenging terrain.

I am a better climber than downhiller which is one of the reasons for which I like the Nomad: it feels good at higher speeds and thus let's me go faster than I would go otherwise.

Has anybody experience with both bikes? I understand that the second generation VPP is supposed to be more efficient but I am rather happy with the uphill capabilities of the 1st generation Nomad and I am afraid to lose the comfortable feel of the Nomad downhill.

It's more that I want a new bike than that I need it (this year). Do you consider it worth to switch to a Tracer VP?

Thanks for any helpful answers!

·
528 Posts
Cable0guy said:
Keep the Nomad, and save your $$$. Not worth the change IMO. Wait to compare all the bikes against the new DW-link RFX coming out later in the year. And then decide.
Sheesh, you don't want anyone to get a Tracer do you? Besides, the RFX is just a myth.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
nmtim said:
Sheesh, you don't want anyone to get a Tracer do you? Besides, the RFX is just a myth.
Well, he says he didn't want to sacrifice DH performance, and Nomad descends better than Tracer VP IMO. Turner did have RFX at Interbike, but no one could ride it (or even sit on it) :) Turner said DHR first, and then RFX this year.

·
528 Posts
I'm just joking with ya.

I don't know though, after the 5-spot flop I'm not sure the RFX would be worth a squirt of piss. I'm joking again, spent too much time on the turner board lately.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good guess, the Mojo DH is at this point actually the only other alternative for me. The only caveat is that it's made of carbon which I am not too convinced off. On the other hand, if it's good enough for Brian Lopes...

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
For the type of riding you describe, I think the Tracer VP would be stellar. Cable0guy is right, it won't have quite the downhill capability of the first gen nomad. In fact I felt it didn't quite match the DH capability of my 6.6 either. But with a coil shock and a 160 fork and the right wheels/tires, you'd be close.

It is a spectacularly good climber and even without paying a lot of attention to weight, the Tracer VP should be lighter than your Nomad. The adjustable travel makes it a very verstatile bike for long back country rides, Super D racing, and differing levels of tech.

If you really value downhill capability you should consider the Uzzi VP. I think it will climb at least as good and can be built up as light (or lighter) than your Nomad yet still give you something new. I don't think it's as different from the Nomad as the Tracer is though... so not as much reason to switch.

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
i'm also really interested in seeing/ hearing how the new Turner RFX turns out.
If I was to replace my 6.6 right now I would probably end up on the Uzzi.
I hear it climbs really well for a long travel bike (VPP ver 2) and the descent would probably be better than your nomad (and much better than the tracer)... all speculation from me- I havnt ridden the Uzzi or the tracer yet (I want to keep my head in the sand and get another year or two out of my 6.6 )

·
Registered
216 Posts
i had exactly that comparison, theres a thread i did on it somewhere. i didn't notice a huge difference downhill (what little i did has been sorted with bike setup - dropped the bar height and moved the seat fwd on its rails), but noticed three major differences; the vpp1 squirt was gone on vpp2 - though i quite liked it personally. the sheer size of the nomad just felt bulkier on singletrack rather than the flickability of the tracer and finally the height of the nomad felt just a little less confidence inspiring when teetering above new drops etc. don't get me wrong, loved the nomad, but these were the deal breakers for me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't consider the Uzzi VP. It looks like a nice option. The disadvantage with a bike like that is that it's a bit embarrassing to shy away from a 6ft drop that better riders on 5" bikes can do :).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank ants, I'll do a search for your thread. I agree with you that the Nomad feels like a tall bike, something that I even like about the bike since it feels so different from my other bikes that are all set up long and low for XC racing (not that I race so much anymore...). It sounds as if I should really try to get a test ride on a Tracer before getting a new bike - or opt for a Uzzi VP like matthew suggested.

·
A crunchy treat
208 Posts
I'd test ride both, ideally on the same ride so you can get a good back-to-back comparison. Once you get into things on the Uzzi you won't be shying away from 6' drops. I rode one for less than an hour and felt like I could ride it off a cliff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've ridden the first gen Nomad a couple of times and own a Tracer VP (probably 600 miles on it now). On the same trail, the Nomad didn't pedal nearly as efficiently as the Tracer. Being that I was riding a friend's Nomad, I didn't put it through its paces descending like I would on my own bike, but it did handle really well. It wasn't set up to my personal specs, but it didn't feel as responsive as my Tracer. That being said, I LOVE my Tracer, but I don't really think it'd be that much of an improvement to justify throwing down that much cash on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Carrot said:
I'd test ride both, ideally on the same ride so you can get a good back-to-back comparison. Once you get into things on the Uzzi you won't be shying away from 6' drops. I rode one for less than an hour and felt like I could ride it off a cliff.
I should not share this information with my wife if I want to sell her the idea of a new bike :) .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.