Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nomad L or XL ?

Hi there,

first this Forum is really great :thumbsup: !!!

I'm from germany and wanna get into a Nomad.

I know my question is really boring for most of you.

I read through all the posts and checked the different geometry on the SC page for the nomad but can't find the right answer for me.

Nomad's in germany are really rare and no bikes store has one build up for testing and checking the right size.

So I hope someone has the time to help me finding the right size L or XL.

Here are some dates and facts for building my dream bike:

My:

weight: 94kg (207 lb)

total height: 1,86m (6.1 ft)

inseam: 0,86m (2.82 ft.)

Parts for my Nomad:

- Fox Talas 36 RC2 or 36 VAN RC2

- Fox DHX 5.0 coil

- Syntace Superforce Stem 6° angle / 90 or 75mm lenght

- Syntace Vector DH Bar 12° bend / 33mm rise

- wheels DT Swiss 440FR with EX5.1D 36hole and Alpine III spokes

the rest would not be so important fro the sizing.

I'm riding All Mountain and Enduro and really into drops and love single trails. So after doing some calculating the Nomad L would fit best with an 100mm stem but that seems a bit to long for me.

How is the experience with an 75mm stem on an L... is there enough pressure on the front wheel??

Sorry again for boring questions but even Nomad rider in germany are really rare!!

This is really the only forum with great feedback to every question.

Cheers

GT98

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm 6'-0" and just ordered up a Large Nomad frame with a 70mm stem. I was riding a Large Blur LT with a 100mm stem previously, and it was just about right (a little too high in front with riser bars). I have test ridden a Large Nomad with a 50mm stem and low rise bars, and it felt pretty good actually... The long chain stays seem to keep the front end planted on steep stuff. I can always put the 100mm stem on there if it seems necessary, but I have a feeling that it won't.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Boogie Man,

what inseam do you have?

I want to keep the saddle niveau a little under the bar niveau without putting more than 25mm spacers under the stem and max. 6° angle to the stem.

Do you think that is possible with my inseam on an L frame?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'd think the large would be a better fit for you based on how we generally size Nomads for rental/sale. Can't really judge what stem length/rise you need over the internet though. I use a Syntace VRO system on mine, so the length is somewhat adjustable; I'm using mine at about 65mm/vector lowrider bar/small stem right now but I'm shorter than you at 5'10" (but have no idea about how our torso or arm lengths compare).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 6'5 and ride a large, with a 70mm stem and 36VanRC2's.. I wouldn't want anything bigger to be honest..

The thing I love, is that with the seat up (thomson layback seatpost) it's great for XC/Trail, and with the seat right down it feels like a BMX for someone my size, which is awesome for anything pointing downhill :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot to everybody givin me some great help with all the answers.

Luckily I located a Nomad in size Large in Switzerland. It's a PC Black and it's new. The dealer would make me a good price (for europe prices)
At the moment it's build up with a Lyrik and some other nice stuff. So next week I'm drivin to Switzerland to check the size.

I will let you know how I feel on the Large and how I decide L or XL.

Cheers

GT98

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
I keep seeing these sizing threads - HOLY OVERSIZE BATMAN.

You are under 6'3" --- stay on a Large. I am 6'8" with a 38" inseam and I can get awy with a large and 90mm stem - an XL with a 70mm is PLENTY roomy.

WOW!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Huck Banzai said:
I keep seeing these sizing threads - HOLY OVERSIZE BATMAN.

You are under 6'3" --- stay on a Large. I am 6'8" with a 38" inseam and I can get awy with a large and 90mm stem - an XL with a 70mm is PLENTY roomy.

WOW!
Hmmm, I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam, so possibly the same torso length as yourself and have ridden both the L and XL and found the XL perfect for me, the L was definitly way too cramped even with a 90mm stem, as was the XL with a 70mm. Depending on body proportions I think if you are 6'1" or over you should at least try both, as other factors come into play other than inseam, you also need to consider the length of your femur, arms etc. You may have legs like a duck, a neck like a giraffe and arms like a Tyrannasaur, be 6'8" and ride a S. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.